Another Pipe Mania Clone

It's looking good. Perhaps you should allow the use of 'B' as an alternative to the stick click. Some people have pads and have lost that functionality. Are there, or will there be 'junction' or 'cross-over' sections (+) ?
Nice work. Looking forward to the full level set. Thank you.

Mr.Jabberwocky posted on Mar 25 2007 at 01:36 PM said:
It's looking good. Perhaps you should allow the use of 'B' as an alternative to the stick click. Some people have pads and have lost that functionality. Are there, or will there be 'junction' or 'cross-over' sections (+) ?
Nice work. Looking forward to the full level set. Thank you.

Thanks !
Ok for the 'B', I'll connect it in the next commit.
To answer to your second question, yes : junction and cross-over are allready implemented but in this "very short" version, I've only compiled 2 very simple levels. During my tests, I've tried cross-over and junctions, and multiple inflows/outflows level, and it works fine. I think I'll implement some new fun pieces in the next releases, according to the user feedback (I already thought about some piece which can speed down the flow, or some "oriented" pieces which let the flow pass only if two of there inputs are alimented ...).

The next step will be to implement a way to read levels from text-files, to allow players who don't want to use or learn C++ to create new levels (and to post them in the official FlowFlowMania website ;o) )

PS: I've created another account because I can't post no more with my other (Bobsky). So I'll use it until an answer of an admin to my mail :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The version 0.3 of FlowFlowMania has just been released with the following features or bug fix :

- the GP2X 'B' and 'X' button are now associated with the "put piece" action
- the 'w' keyboard key is now allowing to start the inflows stream before the countdown's end
- the 'A' GP2X button do so
- a level file parser has been implemented and a sample file is featured, with three levels
- the "Game Over" and "Level OK" messages are now more visible
- the "Game Over"/"Level OK" bug has been fixed (now you cannot move the cursor anymore between two levels)

And for Mr.Jabberwocky, there are some cross pipe in the third level sample ;)

Bobsky posted on Mar 26 2007 at 03:03 PM said:
The version 0.3 of FlowFlowMania has just been released with the following features or bug fix :

- the GP2X 'B' and 'X' button are now associated with the "put piece" action
- the 'w' keyboard key is now allowing to start the inflows stream before the countdown's end
- the 'A' GP2X button do so
- a level file parser has been implemented and a sample file is featured, with three levels
- the "Game Over" and "Level OK" messages are now more visible
- the "Game Over"/"Level OK" bug has been fixed (now you cannot move the cursor anymore between two levels)

And for Mr.Jabberwocky, there are some cross pipe in the third level sample ;)
I don't know if you think about supporting skins but if so perhaps you could use the Pipes Skins? There's some really nice ones...

Nagelfar posted on Mar 26 2007 at 03:57 PM said:
I don't know if you think about supporting skins but if so perhaps you could use the Pipes Skins? There's some really nice ones...

It's an idea ...
Graphical look of pieces can be easily modified (they are just jpg/png tiles)
I'm going to look at this ...

Regards
Bobksy

I had an Idea about such a Game Mode for "Pipes" a while ago :lol:
The Tiles from Pipes would only work, if flowflowmania also uses the uncommon 25x25 tile-size like in Pipes. (instead of normal 24x24 - for grafixing an very important different ^^" )

The version 0.4 of FlowFlowMania has just been released :

- better font display
- background added
- major bug fix : segfault fixed when two simultaneous streams create a stream-leak
- new precompiled 640x480 i386 version
- new packaging and better generation process

Version 0.5 released :
- background tiles
- new sample levels
- new type of pieces : mandatory checkpoints

and some bug fix ...

Note : I'm currently looking for a graphic designer to enhance the look of FlowFlowMania ...

The version 0.6 has just been released :

- new skins mechanism enhancement
- new type of piece : the logical checkpoints !
- new test levels

and as always some bug fix ...

Note : I'm still looking for graphic designers to build new skins for FlowFlowMania, and ideas for new pieces and levels !

First, it would be cool when we could get a working LINK to the new versions. ;) Because I can't download flowflowmania from your homepage, check it please. ^^ This sourceforge-page has much trouble I think.
Just upload your game to ED's archive.

EDIT: OK, I have it...testing

Hmm.... why I have to restart the game after Game over? I cant get "start" a new game from menu after I finished a level or have game over. No button is working (besides, option-selection should be B and not X ;) )
Nice Game but nothing for me. I dont like time-pressure in the neck while puzzeling. ^^""
And for skinning: use one or two graphic files for all the tiles, it's much easier instead of one file per tile.

Bye.

fusion_power said:
First, it would be cool when we could get a working LINK to the new versions. ;) Because I can't download flowflowmania from your homepage, check it please. ^^ This sourceforge-page has much trouble I think.
Just upload your game to ED's archive.

EDIT: OK, I have it...testing

Hmm.... why I have to restart the game after Game over? I cant get "start" a new game from menu after I finished a level or have game over. No button is working (besides, option-selection should be B and not X ;) )
Nice Game but nothing for me. I dont like time-pressure in the neck while puzzeling. ^^""
And for skinning: use one or two graphic files for all the tiles, it's much easier instead of one file per tile.

Bye.
Hi ! Thanks a lot for testing it and thanks for your feedback !

Let's make some answer about the different points you're talking about :
1) link to source forge : for me it works fine, but you can you use some of the following direct links if you want :
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading...gz&91320099
http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,0,0,25,2099
2) "Hmm.... why I have to restart the game after Game over?" : just because when a game over occured, I would like to give access to some "hall of fames" features ... This part is not yet implemented but I'll do so in the next version :(
3) "I cant get "start" a new game from menu after I finished a level" : when you finish a level, a "Level OK !" splash appears. And after 3 seconds, the next level begins. But if you have finished all the levels, the game is ending. This is the same "hall of fames" implementation problem :( sorry again ... In each release, I try to add a level or two levels, but I'm looking for "user created" levels because the games looks very short at this time.
4) "No button is working (besides, option-selection should be B and not X)" : I'm going to make the buttons configurables because it seems that nobody has the same needs about it ... But what do you mean exactly when you write "no button is working" ?
5) "And for skinning: use one or two graphic files for all the tiles, it's much easier instead of one file per tile." : yes that's what I do for "special" pieces ("logical pieces" and "mandatory checkpoints") but a friend is currently building an humoristic and sexy skin where all different tiles are important :p ... So I'm going to think about a way to have the two different methods to skin ...

Thanks a gain for your feedback !

"no button is working" was only in main Menu after game over, when I tried to play a new game. ;) You described the problem so I only could press the start-button and exit the program.

Hi all !

Just a little news to inform you that FlowFlowMania is slowing down a little due to the fact that I'm hospitalized since May 02 2007 for a leukemia at Paris. I think I'm going to have a lot of time during next weeks to continue FlowFlowMania, but the poor network of the hospital does not allow me to use FlowFlowMania SVN ... So don't be affraid by the SVN inactivity. The things will go better when I'll be back home ;o)

I hope you will get better soon, I wish you all the best Bobsky! :)

I had been meaning to bump this thread to see how FlowFlowMania was progressing. This is a shocking announcement and my best wishes go out to you. Good to hear you will be be home again shortly. I am looking forward to see how the game has developed. Best of luck (and no slacking just because you are in hospital ;))

crap! i'd been trying to get a hold of you...i had no idea. i really, really wish you the best bobsky. i've had some ridiculous medical stuff done but nothing like what they must be making you do. if you're going home soon then that's great and hopefully you'll get to relax a bit. shoot me a pm if you get stir-crazy.

my flowflow skin is almost done so you'll have that to look forward too, i guess. stay positive and please take good care of yourself!

edit: may as well make a preview png:
bobsky.png

Hi all and thanks a lot for your support !

rokdcasbah, I've just added you to the sourceforge project. Your skin looks great ! Thanks a lot !

Regards,
Bobsky

Looks very nice !

I'm currently modifying FlowFlowMania flow animation code to allow the usage of "flow masks" : it will be usefull to allow to use different flow thickness and even to define flows with variable thikness ...

Another news : I'm back to home since yesterday. my globules are multiplying again and I can take the end of the firts phase of my cure at home ... So I think I'm going to develop a lot now :)

Regards,
JLT

Back