another person on the verge on buyin GP32

duffman

Still Fresh
im very close to pucrchasing a GP32, just a few questions,
(i know your probably sick of the same question ovre and over, sorry, but i have done quite alot of research already)

!:how well can the GP32 handle SNES RPGs? sound not really an issue but obviously save feature is

2: do i have to download special ROMs or are they the same as the ones i would get for my PC? (hope this isnt bordering on illegal topic :( but seeing as emus are such a large aspect to GP32 i think you can let it slide ;)

Lots of SNES RPGs play well. Chrono Trigger is fine. Others such as the Final Fantasies and Lufia 1 and 2 work well. They all obvioulsy work better when overclocked. One thing to bear in mind, is that the snes emu is windowed and so the games are not full screen , which i personally find annoying, although most people dont have a problem with it.
Snes9x allows saves, but not save states... ie; you can only save at the points where you would save on an original snes cartridge.
I personally find FF6, secret of mana, terranigma and super Mario RPG quite slow, although the first three are playable..... whereas Mario RPG is very very slow!

And yes, you can just use the same roms, either pirated or public domain. :)

Probably a silly question, But does that make any difference to the speed ie. Windowed=sloooww and non-windowed=fassstt. :unsure:
Just like in micro$oft (spit) windows. :unsure:

Trooper

I think it does make a difference in speed.

Snes RPGs are IMO great on the GP32. FF II (IV) runs at full speed with sound on FS 4 at 160 mhz for me.

Probably a silly question, But does that make any difference to the speed ie. Windowed=sloooww and non-windowed=fassstt. 
Just like in micro$oft (spit) windows. 

Other way around. Windowed = Fast, Non-Windowed = Slow. The smaller the image is, the less pixels need to be drawn. Additionally, the image probably need to be stretched to fit the GP32 screen (unless the coder can hack the SNES9x code to get it in the proper dimensions).

This, of course, has nothing to do with Microsoft Windows, which is an operating system.

:D I know it has nothing to do with windows, Well m$ windows anyway. I was just refering to how windows may do it, Or even the amiga for that matter. A single screen is open to allow the app/game/program exclusive use of the screen area, And maybe even temporary shut down the OS (like the amiga does) so the app/game/program does not have to share resources or screen space with anything running in the background. Which is probably not the way things work on the GP32.

But then again, I am not a programmer/coder, So im probably talking complete bollocks :D

Trooper

Back