Another Network Issue.

VRAndy

I've got another network issue. My Pandora now works great when my access point is completely open, but obviously I don't want to leave it that way.

Sadly it refuses to connect when I use WEP or WPA. I give it my "keychain" password or whatever, then I input my WEP (or WPA) key, and it sits for a while, then pops up the WEP (or WPA) password screen again.

Now, there's an option to not obscure the password, so I KNOW it's right, but it refuses to log me in.

I'm flexable, if I need to setup my router in a particular way, I will, but it seems like this should ... just work.

Any suggestions?

Oh. How stupid of me. It was the same problem.

I did a "ifconfig usb0 down" (as root) and I was able to connect with no problem.

If I had edited the config file like I said I was going to this wouldn't have bitten me again.

Sorry for starting a stupid thread.

GRAAA! It was not the same problem. I just got lucky.

To Recap :

• My Pandora has a phantom network device at usb0.
  • My Pandora, ninety-nine times out of a hundred, refuses to authenticate with my router when it's using WPA or WEP.

The first is easy enough to solve, a quick "ifconfig usb0 down" takes care of it.

But this second one is going to drive me crazy!

I'd greatly appreciate any advice here.

just a quick question : what router are you using ? and do you use the wepkey (hexadecimal) or a passphrase ?

I'm using a D-Link DI-524

I'm using passphrases not HEX codes. I'd never remember a hex code.

Through experimentation WEP seems much more likely to work than WPA, but still rather frustrating.

as i don't have my pandora :( : what happens when u enter a wrong passphrase ? and does the networkmanager show what kind of encryption your ap uses ?

there are quiet some bugreports for the n900 which uses the same wifichip (imho WL1251). some of them mention the di-524

could you try to connect and then post the output of
Code:
dmesg
at the terminal

edit: grml could be hard without working wificonnection :(
edit again : can u try it with wpa-psk

chaosfx said:
as i don't have my pandora :( : what happens when u enter a wrong passphrase ? and does the networkmanager show what kind of encryption your ap uses ?
It tries it for a few seconds, then prompts you again. Yes, when it prompts you it mentions the encryption type.

there are quiet some bugreports for the n900 which uses the same wifichip (imho WL1251). some of them mention the di-524
That could be my issue then.

could you try to connect and then post the output of
Code:
dmesg
at the terminal
Well, this is a little embarrassing ... but my WiFi is working perfectly now. I've rebooted a couple of times and can't make it fail. I swear nothing has changed.

Oh well, I'm sure that later today when I want it to work it will fail. When that happens I'll dump dmesg to a file.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know that once the connection is dropped it will not connect again, right? You have to disable and re-enable the wifi chip before you can reconnect.

I do know that, and I thought I was doing this from a fresh boot.
However, does it hit this issue if it fails to connect? For example, if it fails to connect once will it never connect until it's rebooted? That could potentially explain the issues I had.

Of course, it's possible I did do something stupid like log-out instead of reboot. (If you read my other thread on networking you'll notice my post where I forgot to type "sudo".)

Thanks all for the help. Whatever was causing it, it seems to be behaving now.

Ye if it fails to connect first time I guess it essentially locks onto a signal but the signal is lost before a connection has been established - therefore I guess that means it will never connect until wifi is disabled and renenabled.

Pleng said:
Ye if it fails to connect first time I guess it essentially locks onto a signal but the signal is lost before a connection has been established - therefore I guess that means it will never connect until wifi is disabled and renenabled.
I'm going to be optimistic and say that was my problem. I was imagining that only a successful connection would cause this issue.

Thanks, it's good to know that I was experiencing the same known problem as everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the event of network problems, have you tried doing an ifconfig down/up on the wireless adapter? That may be enough to reset the wifi and get it to reconnect again. Still waiting on my Pandora, else I'd experiment with it myself.

Back