Another Delay... Anyway We Can Get Some Shipped Out To Odevelopers Tho

granted the amiga had some jewels but sonic, on any platform, doesnt have much of a replayablity IMO, and as far as MAME, i would have to test out just about all the games to find the ones ive liked back in the day as i dont know any of them by name except for the few that have been ported to home consoles

Dunny said:
I only just a couple of years ago managed to complete Sabre Wulf. Now that is longevity for you - took me over 20 years to finish a game.

Sabre Wulf? Took me 2 Days (no idea how many attempts) after receiving it. I was on a deadline to map it for a magazine at the time ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
DaMummy said:
granted the amiga had some jewels but sonic, on any platform, doesnt have much of a replayablity IMO

This is why what's a classic for you is not a classic for me - I find pretty much all N64 games to be boring, badly produced crap; I find Sonic (especially Sonic 1 and 2) to be really great fun to blast around in and can play for hours. You're the opposite. I'm sure there's PSX fans in here that think that the Final Fantasy games are the pinnacle of gaming greatness - but I find them dull as fuck and totally unimaginative. Same for the Zelda and Pokemon games - I'm just too old and cynical to go and get the next in a long line of money-spinning clones.

and as far as MAME, i would have to test out just about all the games to find the ones ive liked back in the day as i dont know any of them by name except for the few that have been ported to home consoles

You'll have great fun with that. I have fond memories of Hull Fair when I was little and later the Fair at Crowborough - the arcade machines were always flashing away, and I never had the cash to play on them. Now that I have the cash, the only machines seem to be lightguns and fruit/slot machines which just aren't any fun at all.

MAME now allows me to go find those games that I saw, all those years ago, and actually play them. Because it's a long time ago, I don't recall their names so I have to go through each one and see if it sparks any nostalgia. Fantastic fun, and I pick up some really good stuff as I go that I never knew existed at the time.

D.

Dunny said:
MAME now allows me to go find those games that I saw, all those years ago, and actually play them [...] and I pick up some really good stuff as I go that I never knew existed at the time.

D.

A bit of MAME grazing can also reveal how many 'very original' Speccy titles actually owed a great debt to some of the more obscure Arcade titles.

DaMummy said:
WHAT!? n64 is as classic as punch out for nes, so many gems on n64 that can still easily compete with games being released today

The n64 is a revolutionary gaming system (made gaming what it is today)... it is not a classic...

I'm a full-on MAME junkie, I played so many different games in my youth that I could never get enough of, and now that I can carry them all around in my pocket, I do! :)

With you on the Speccy stuff, Dunny .. I never got into the Spectrum much (more of an Oric/Atmos/Amstrad guy in those years) but I really look forward to wading through the collection and finding the gems. I hope there will be quite a few other guys willing to talk about their discoveries in the old 8-bit emulator scene on Pandora, soon enough, coz its something I just can't get enough of, personally ..

Asmo said:
Dunny said:
MAME now allows me to go find those games that I saw, all those years ago, and actually play them [...] and I pick up some really good stuff as I go that I never knew existed at the time.

D.

A bit of MAME grazing can also reveal how many 'very original' Speccy titles actually owed a great debt to some of the more obscure Arcade titles.

And that's a detraction? Of course they were home-grown clones of arcade machines! That was kind of the point, duh! At what point did I say that the any of the Speccy line-up was 'very original'?

D.

torpor said:
I hope there will be quite a few other guys willing to talk about their discoveries in the old 8-bit emulator scene on Pandora, soon enough, coz its something I just can't get enough of, personally ..
Count me in. :D

Dunny said:
Asmo said:
Dunny said:

D.

And that's a detraction? Of course they were home-grown clones of arcade machines! That was kind of the point, duh! At what point did I say that the any of the Speccy line-up was 'very original'?

D.

?
Where did I say it was a detraction? Where did I say you said anything about originality? I wasn't saying anything about your post. I was just saying that it's one of the joys of grazing through MAME titles, providing unsuspected background to much of the bedroom coded Spectrum stuff that at the time was reviewed as being 'original', often because the Arcade titles were so rare that few saw the connection. 'Originality' was a review category for most mags back then. The obvious clones were - duh - obvious, but a lot of stuff (MAME reveals) must've been inspired by visits to Arcades on foreign travels!

Asmo said:
Where did I say it was a detraction? Where did I say you said anything about originality? I wasn't saying anything about your post. I was just saying that it's one of the joys of grazing through MAME titles, providing unsuspected background to much of the bedroom coded Spectrum stuff that at the time was reviewed as being 'original' often because the Arcade titles were so rare that few saw the connection. The obvious clones were - duh - obvious, but a lot of stuff (MAME reveals) must've been inspired by visits to Arcades on foreign travels!

Ah, then please excuse my post with my apologies. And you are absolutely right.

D.

Dunny said:
Ah, then please excuse my post with my apologies. And you are absolutely right.

D.

:)

Back