Annoying Gigolo Problem. It Asks For A Domain, But I Am Not On One.

lobski

I've gotten as far as Gigolo asking me for a username, domain and password. But I am not on a domain, only a workgroup.

I just want the simplest and fastest way to access my Windows folders natively, without using third party FTP servers, etc.

Why is Gigolo asking me for a domain when I'm not part of one? Typing in my workgroup doesn't work.

Alerino said:
if you select Windows Share, maybe you won't need to fill domain info,
look here

4966105480_4cb455f574_z.jpg

Yes, however, once I type in the server (my PC IP) and the share name, it goes to the next screen which asks for the Username, Domain and password.

I have the username and password. But I'm not even part of a domain. IT won't let me connect without putting in a domain.

The PC I am trying to connect to has a password.

Last edited by a moderator:
lobski said:
I have the username and password. But I'm not even part of a domain. IT won't let me connect without putting in a domain.
Every system with SMB does have a domain (be it MSHOME or WORKGROUP the defaults)

sebt3 said:
lobski said:
Every system with SMB does have a domain (be it MSHOME or WORKGROUP the defaults)

edit: I think I figured it out, I have to put my workgroup info in the domain area BEFORE I connect, if I put it in the domain box on the second window, it won't work. However, Ive ran into a new problem, it keeps asking me for the password required for my IP/server. I keep putting in the correct password (which is my windows login pass), but it keeps on asking for it.

This seems to be the same problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1201809

Why is Gigolo such a horrible program?

lobski said:
edit: I think I figured it out, I have to put my workgroup info in the domain area BEFORE I connect, if I put it in the domain box on the second window, it won't work. However, Ive ran into a new problem, it keeps asking me for the password required for my IP/server. I keep putting in the correct password (which is my windows login pass), but it keeps on asking for it.

This seems to be the same problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1201809

i've a similar problem using windows shares when using xbmc (the original one, for the xbox1).

the reason for this is some microsoft software called Windows Live Sign In Assistant. if you have this on your computer, the only way to get smb working again is uninstalling this "assistant".
BUT here it comes, windows update will reinstall it again - so if you reboot again, it's back. <_<

crow_riot said:
lobski said:

i've a similar problem using windows shares when using xbmc (the original one, for the xbox1).

the reason for this is some microsoft software called Windows Live Sign In Assistant. if you have this on your computer, the only way to get smb working again is uninstalling this "assistant".
BUT here it comes, windows update will reinstall it again - so if you reboot again, it's back. <_<

I love you, this actually WORKED. Hours trying to find out what's wrong, only to have the problem solved by uninstalling this little thing.

I've ran into 'another' problem, is streaming videos (even low bit tv-rip ones) supposed to be this slow? My network is pretty unsaturated and the video buffers quite often...

Alerino said:
i never ran into the problem you mentioned, maybe because of windows xp

from what i remember the live assistant is a windows7 "goodie" ;)

lobski said:
I've gotten as far as Gigolo asking me for a username, domain and password. But I am not on a domain, only a workgroup.

I just want the simplest and fastest way to access my Windows folders natively, without using third party FTP servers, etc.

Why is Gigolo asking me for a domain when I'm not part of one? Typing in my workgroup doesn't work.

Using gigolo, for domain you should put the name of the machine for example

username:<username>
password:<password>
domain:<name of the pc/ or windows domain if username is from that domain and has rights on the pc>

The domain part of the login is simply to indicate where the username is defined, either a local pc or windows domain.

workgroups don't supply rights when the pc is not part of a domain, they simply group pc's together when they might all be used for similar purposes like in a lab or department.

Back