Nethack For Gp2x (ascii-only)

mwolson

Still Fresh
Website
mwolson.org
I am releasing the first stable version of my NetHack port for the GP2X.

NetHack is a single player dungeon exploration game that runs on a wide variety of computer systems, with a variety of graphical and text interfaces all using the same game engine. Unlike many other Dungeons & Dragons-inspired games, the emphasis in NetHack is on discovering the detail of the dungeon and not simply killing everything in sight - in fact, killing everything in sight is a good way to die quickly. Each game presents a different landscape - the random number generator provides an essentially unlimited number of variations of the dungeon and its denizens to be discovered by the player in one of a number of characters: you can pick your race, your role, and your gender.
[CUT]
This port focuses on keeping the classic ASCII look of NetHack, with emphasis on using an on-screen keyboard. If you want a menu-driven graphical interface, check out Dzz's port of NetHack.

URL: here

Source URL: here

See the NEWS.gp2x file for a list of changes that have been made since the last beta release.[/CUT]

Nice that you finally have finished a stable version. Been looking for that since you first announced it. I'll test it this evening, haven't got my gp2x here :(

Now, with two versions of nethack, a 'classic' one and a new one, all the people that have said that the first tiles version of nethack killed the mythos and who just want to remember a lot of commands can play this version. Well done!

Looking forward to playing this on my gp2x. :)

By the way: I'd be grateful if someone with a breakout box + USB keyboard could test the game for me. I think I've fixed things so that it works, but I don't (yet) have the means to test this. Basically, arrow keys should move the player, pressing letters should do what you'd expect, and the indicators should come on when Shift, Alt, or Ctrl is pressed.

mwolson posted on Jul 18 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
By the way: I'd be grateful if someone with a breakout box + USB keyboard could test the game for me. I think I've fixed things so that it works, but I don't (yet) have the means to test this. Basically, arrow keys should move the player, pressing letters should do what you'd expect, and the indicators should come on when Shift, Alt, or Ctrl is pressed.
I should be able to test this later on today (illness permitting) - congrats on the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:
deanolium posted on Jul 20 2006 at 02:34 AM said:
mwolson posted on Jul 18 2006 at 06:47 PM said:
I should be able to test this later on today (illness permitting) - congrats on the good work!
Come to think of it ... I just realized that using Shift on the keyboard while entering characters probably won't work. I've tried to correct the problem in STerm 0.3 (available from the file archive), so if you could test that instead, I'd be grateful. Once I know the problem if fixed, I'll release a new version of my NetHack port with the changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back