Anatomy of shoulder button switch

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
I'm hoping for a response from ED, Craig, or MichaelW here, but anyone who might have ripped open a shoulder button switch should suffice.

I have a unit that was in the corner of a box that UPS delivered that didn't fare too well during the cross pond transit. The L shoulder switch is internally not clicking anymore.

What parts are needed to fix this, is it something that can be done by hand?

I saw the video that mcobit posted on how to fix a detached hinge, but this is the actual switch itself that is inoperable.

Any advice or recommendations on how to proceed with these issues in the future would be great. This area seems very fragile regarding the PCB.

There are some posts mentioning the part you can buy to replace it. Soldering it should be easy enough to be done by hand.

You need to replace the whole switch apparently.

Yes, the two side contacts and the two contacts beneath the button. You should use some soldergauge or wick or tweezers to pull the button up while heating the pads. Be careful with the temperature though.

When the complete button is detached, solder the new one in place. Be sure to have it aligned properly while soldering. To do that you can use some stickytape or something like that.

I could do a video that demonstrates the removal and reattaching the whole button tomorrow, if you like.

Thanks!! Now I need to find the parts, unless ED can mail some out, probably be cheaper than me mailing the boards back to him.

Temp wise 280˚C?

Sometimes you can even revive them!

It might be it's just stuck - try pressing it a bit harder and move the rubber around in circles. It might magically start to work again.

About parts: These can be bought from DigiKey, so it's pretty easy.

I'll have to check for part numbers.

Yes, 280 degrees C should do. As said, I can demonstrate this, if you like.

Thanks ED and mcobit.

@mcobit, if you want to fire up your video camera and do a video, I'd be grateful, its easier to watch once through before just diving into it myself. No hurry, as I'll have to order some parts from DigiKey.

Sorry, I don't think I will make a video, while unscrewing the backside of the Pandora, two screws came really loose and won't hold in anymore. I don't want to make it fall apart completely if the others decide to not hold anymore...

I need a new case :(

^

Yeah, I know that feeling with the casing and screws. No worries, I think I'll be able to manage OK. Thanks for giving it a thought. I think you'll like the new case, they're snazzy.

@ED Did you ever come up with the part number for DigiKey? I'd like to start working on these two units I have here with stuck shoulders. I tried the massage technique, but no luck.

Sometimes you can even revive them!

It might be it's just stuck - try pressing it a bit harder and move the rubber around in circles. It might magically start to work again.

About parts: These can be bought from DigiKey, so it's pretty easy.

I'll have to check for part numbers.

So I don't buy the part from you? I had sent you an email about buyinga shoulder part, but if this was in error please disregard it. Where do I buy it from?

^

Yeah, I know that feeling with the casing and screws. No worries, I think I'll be able to manage OK. Thanks for giving it a thought. I think you'll like the new case, they're snazzy.

@ED Did you ever come up with the part number for DigiKey? I'd like to start working on these two units I have here with stuck shoulders. I tried the massage technique, but no luck.

here's the part number and link:

KT11P2SA3M34LFS

http://www.digikey.c...KT11P2SA3M34LFS

EDIT:

Pretty sure I just answered my own question. Twice. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
here's the part number and link: KT11P2SA3M34LFS http://www.digikey.c...KT11P2SA3M34LFS
Cool saves me a bit of searching through Digikey or Mouser, I wanted to mod one of my Pandoras like what Askarus did with his and add L2 and R2 buttons..

Need to invest in spare case parts / LCD cables..

Last edited by a moderator:
^

I hope to have new cases in stock by the end of the month, and LCD cables as well.

@PeaceLFB

Thanks for the part #, now to order some of those and test out my new soldering station.

Fantastic!, I was going to PM you to see if your shop would be selling parts in the future.. I like ordering from you, as I'm only 35 minutes away from where you ship from.

^

I hope to have new cases in stock by the end of the month, and LCD cables as well.

@PeaceLFB

Thanks for the part #, now to order some of those and test out my new soldering station.

On an unrelated note, has anyone ever sent you or ED a pandora for a nub repair? I don't think mine is going to start working again on it's own.

I've done some nub work while in Germany in February. I don't have any extra nubs right now, as I'm waiting for a shipment of parts from ED.

Thanks ED, I had a shoulder button that appeared stuck, but I gave it some firm presses and it started to click and work.

Back