Analysts:ps3 To Win Next Gen Console War

OMars posted on Aug 26 2006 at 12:45 AM said:
I think the wii will have great console emulation, even if it doesn't win the console wars. Homebrew will start(maybe)shortly(don't quote me)after launch, as nintendo have not told us about firmware updates or anything. It also has an sd slot and 512MB built-in and me likes. :D
Boo hiss boo

Last edited by a moderator:
Shikaku posted on Aug 25 2006 at 06:35 PM said:
If you have ever tried to play a HD movie file on your computer, and you have a crappy CPU, chances are it will go VERY SLOW. Take me for example: since I usually don't do much things that require a lot of CPU power, my computer is an extremely budget computer. Therefore I have a (ugh) Sempron 2600.
Yeah, i made the same experience yesterday with the UT 2007 HD trailer... I have a similar CPU and now i have to realise my PC can´t even play movies decently anymore.

I mean how strange is this? The trailer has almost the same requirements as the finished game! Time to buy a new PC... or upgrading, which is basically the same minus case and drives ;)

I think the ps3 will be a sellout from day one, mainly due to the blu-ray video playback. With a price of around $500-$600, it will be roughly twice as cheap as a stand alone blu-ray player and just like ps2 did with dvd, it will bring blu-ray to the masses.

Angel posted on Aug 17 2006 at 06:24 AM said:
Yep, thats why i figured no way for the first year and half, maybe 2 years. But once you see the price drops, that is when i believe the PS3 will sneak up in the ranks. But at the beginning..no way.
Console war is like arm wrestling. Once the balance is broken, it's next to impossible to reverse it. If one of the three runs away, it's going to be the absolute winner like PS2 is. If it's more like the battle between SNES and Genesis, it's going to be a long and painful battle for them. I predict the later for the next gen. The first winner will show up by the end of Christmas 2007, just like DS was at the end of Christmas 2005. If the winner of 2007 wins Christmas 2008 again, that will be it. Otherwise, it's going to be 3:3:4 battle.

x68000 posted on Sep 2 2006 at 03:50 PM said:
I think the ps3 will be a sellout from day one, mainly due to the blu-ray video playback. With a price of around $500-$600, it will be roughly twice as cheap as a stand alone blu-ray player and just like ps2 did with dvd, it will bring blu-ray to the masses.
I've seen BluRay movies, and they look better, but not 1000 bucks better not even 600 bucks better. SACDs are way better sounding than CDs, and SACDs took over the world...wait how many SACDs do I have? Zerrro, nil, nada. The improvement from DVDs to BluRay is still marginal no matter how hard Sony's marketing division trying to brain wash us. I'll get BluRay player when I get my SACD player. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting a PS3 AS A GAME CONSOLE, although I'll be complaining all the way to the store for the price.

If you've read the news the real take over story will be VOD. Samsung recently demoed a technology that will become commercial by 2010 that you can download 700MB file in mere 5.6 seconds. Just like iPod replaced CDs, DVDs will be replaced by a totally different technology that's exponentially better, not just several times better.

Does anyone reckon that the fact that you can already play 'back-ups' on the Xbox 360 will have an effect on the sales? Playstations have always thrived on the piracy scene, I wonder if Blu-Ray will put an end to this.

i hope ps3 loses just because sony are spitting acid in ourfaces now.
the ps1 lets face it everyone was great. a real success. i feel sorry for the n64 because it was great aswelll.
but the ps1 was just amazing back at the time and still is now.
sony have just been building up on that throne for to long now.
i mean ps3, gt4, grand theft auto 4, and the sad thing is, even thhough the games are still good. they are in a way getting worst and worst from the original which made them great games.
sony even havnt changed the controller, thats how lazy they fucking are.

I want to play it, not write some crappy review.

Also i bought a fake PS2 controller in Chile for about 6 € and its about as good as the original.

I mean if some fuckin´HK copycats can copy a product and sell it for less than a third of its original price, its time to seriously improve it...

the PS2 pad is great, its been a good pad since it was the playstation dual shock pad... there's no point improving something thats blatently already pretty damn good

and anyways, they have improved it, its now got motion sensors and its wireless

Change it so the analogue is where the Dpad is and the Dpad is where the analogue stick is.

This is 2006, not 1995. Most (all?) new games use analogue as the default control system and having the analogue stick where it is on every other decent pad would go a long way to improving it.

Otherwise, it's pretty solid.

xafier posted on Sep 11 2006 at 04:30 PM said:
the PS2 pad is great, its been a good pad since it was the playstation dual shock pad... there's no point improving something thats blatently already pretty damn good

and anyways, they have improved it, its now got motion sensors and its wireless

Are you telling me that you are ok with playing Sony's controller for another 10yrs? (the life cycle of ps3)
Dual shock is 10years old already!! And i dont know about you but im bored to death of playing the same games, the same way!! It feels like im playing the same game over & over. I cant remeber a game i've finished in the past 2yrs, without getting bored of it & not playing again..

Sony has to upgrade & tilt sensitive aint gonna cut it for me..

The PS2 controller is really pretty terrible, especially for a newbie. Two sets of shoulder buttons with non-intuitive names, stupid clickable analog stick buttons (easy to accidentally press), utterly confusing button symbols, worthless 'select' button, horrible d-pad. Plus it's based on the SNES, so that should give you an idea of how dated it is. Shoving two badly-placed sticks onto a snes pad and adding a second set of shoulder buttons does not make a better controller.

Xbox S is probably the current best, since they put the white/black buttons in a sane place and it's very comfortable. Gamecube was also comfortable, and it's a lot easier to switch from the c-stick to the face buttons, but had flaws (Z button, y/x easily confused, weird dpad)

To be honest, I think controllers as a whole are getting too complex and less intuitive. As games become more complex there is no longer an easy mapping between player actions and game actions - don't even get me started about FPS/RTS - so the Wii is a welcome novelty.

Rico posted on Sep 17 2006 at 02:17 PM said:
The PS2 controller is really pretty terrible, especially for a newbie. Two sets of shoulder buttons with non-intuitive names, stupid clickable analog stick buttons (easy to accidentally press), utterly confusing button symbols, worthless 'select' button, horrible d-pad.

R1/2 makes more sense than RT and R...B...whatever it's called on the 360. What would you rather they be named? RX and RY? I don't know what else you'd call them.

And using shapes instead of letters for the face buttons makes things much easier in my opinion. I've been playing on the Xbox (and now 360) for years and still find myself looking down at the pad to find the 'X/blue' button. The problem is everyone else uses Nintendo's A/B/X/Y naming scheme but they swap the positions around so you have to learn the sequence all over again. Dumb with a capital B.

Rico posted on Sep 17 2006 at 02:17 PM said:
best, since they put the white/black buttons in a sane place and it's very comfortable.

It's an OK controller for some games, but those black and white buttons are just plain useless. They sensibly dropped them from the 360's design, but replaced them with a couple of new shoulder buttons that seem almost as redundant.

Back