Analysts:ps3 To Win Next Gen Console War

rabbits with hats posted on Aug 17 2006 at 01:18 PM said:
No way. We have all seen how the market can shift in one gen. I think sony will loose about half there market. as many ps2 owners will not be able to make the step up.

Yep, thats why i figured no way for the first year and half, maybe 2 years. But once you see the price drops, that is when i believe the PS3 will sneak up in the ranks. But at the beginning..no way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully by 2011 the ps4 and wii2 will be out :lol:

But yes, this is no secret....unless you're in denial like some fanboy types on these forums. That's all that I will say for now, because I predict this thread will become a big mush once declaration comes in. And I'm not even in the yankee group! Go figure.

Good article though, interesting read.

I think they are over-estimating the Xbox and underestimating the wii, but that might be fairly close to the final result. PS3's success, if it comes at all, will be very delayed though.

the cube didn't do as bad as it could've done, that was around the time ninty was spouting out how it didn't need third party support if i remember correctly. I know if i was a third party dev, i would've dropped all developement after hearing that.

But Nintendo will always be king of the handheld market. Console wise they've been slipping since the N64, but they will never be topped in the handheld market.

The Wii will sell very good because its new and has this whole aura built up around it, so the buzz will definetly generate into massive sales. Changing the way you play the games, the same games, but just a different way of playing, now you can play Mario Tennis like your really using a tennis racket. The XBOX 360 already has a head start so the other 2 will have to compensate. The PS3 will be slow due to the high price point, but give it a couple years and it will regain ground, especially if the Wii flops.

Ninty are making a very risky move with the Wii, it's true, but from what I've seen, it'll be a success, and probably dominate for a year or so, as the cheaper console tends to do. However, I have no doubt the PS3 will rise to the top; once the price has fallen to an affordable level, Sony's amazing third-party support will grab the majority. And nothing that I've seen so far can knock Nintendo off the top spot for handhelds.

I dunno what'll happen, but I'm bored of whats happening. Sega's dead. Nintendo is lamer than ever. Microsoft expands its empire. And Sony cashes in.

Sony also somehow has the power to make people stupid. I'm mean, some Sony fanboys are the stupidest people I've ever seen. They're like "The PS2 is way more powerful than any computer!!!111!!!". Or "GTA double pack on PS2 is the best game EVAR!".

And now they're infiltrating our forums. "OMGzors! It can emulzate PSX! Where can I find one in WalMart?". Or "PLZ PORT HALO".

Blah i agree with you on that lol, and about the fanboys, the reason I like the GP32x other console forum is the lack of fanboys. Yes you have your fanboy wars now and then and your obvious fan boys but compared to other gaming forums, it's pretty tame here and compared to most gaming forums, the conversations here are usually civil.

Sega needs to come back into the hardware biz in some grand form. I agree with you about Nintendo, Microsoft, can't really comment on, but I like the XBOX, Sony, I LOVE MY PSP, haven't touched my PS2 since i got an Xbox.

rabbits with hats posted on Aug 17 2006 at 09:56 PM said:
What do you guys think would happen (it will not happen, but) if EA made a console?
hopfully it would stop the onslaught of rubbish games for other platforms.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 17 2006 at 05:25 PM said:
Just saw a blu-ray demo in the sony store in my local roosevelt field mall. I have to say, it looked fantasic. Just reinforces the fact that I'll be buying a ps3.

I don't care about sony, I just want blu-ray discs... gotta wait until they get cheap =/

rabbits with hats posted on Aug 17 2006 at 01:56 PM said:
What do you guys think would happen (it will not happen, but) if EA made a console?

It'd have a credit card slide, so it can "share" your money with EA and Players, Inc.

rabbits with hats posted on Aug 17 2006 at 08:56 PM said:
they did. it was called the 3DO. panasonic just manufactureD it

Angel posted on Aug 18 2006 at 12:17 PM said:
rabbits with hats posted on Aug 17 2006 at 08:56 PM said:
they did. it was called the 3DO. panasonic just manufactureD it

And if flopped very quickly, due too a high price and lack of third party support.

Shikaku posted on Aug 17 2006 at 07:45 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 17 2006 at 05:25 PM said:
Just saw a blu-ray demo in the sony store in my local roosevelt field mall. I have to say, it looked fantasic. Just reinforces the fact that I'll be buying a ps3.

I don't care about sony, I just want blu-ray discs... gotta wait until they get cheap =/

I kind of hate to comment on myself, but I have to add an explanation to how it will get cheap...

Blu-Ray technology is all fine and dandy. Hell, a Blu-Ray drive shouldn't cost a lot after the initial batches go through. The real problem will be the prices of the PLAYERS. If you have ever tried to play a HD movie file on your computer, and you have a crappy CPU, chances are it will go VERY SLOW. Take me for example: since I usually don't do much things that require a lot of CPU power, my computer is an extremely budget computer. Therefore I have a (ugh) Sempron 2600. Payed $50. It can't play the HD version of Elephant's Dream almost at all, and it can just barely play the 1024 version (it goes at like %75 CPU usage average). Note that it is encoded in XviD (which is open source =), which won't be supported in Blu-Ray players but take up less CPU power at the price of larger filesize.

The CPU requirements for the newer codecs that came out (H264, etc) and that will be supported by Blu-Ray players is higher. The main thing is this: until there is a hardware decoder that supports the myriad of codecs supported by Blu-Ray (which includes all the older ones), the prices of the players will stay at an extremely high price. Why? There is a Semi-High End COMPUTER in these things, for now.

I think the wii will have great console emulation, even if it doesn't win the console wars. Homebrew will start(maybe)shortly(don't quote me)after launch, as nintendo have not told us about firmware updates or anything. It also has an sd slot and 512MB built-in and me likes. :D

Back