Difference Between Analog And Digital Sticks?

bhess

Website
Visit site
I've been reading a ton lately about the GP2X hardware cause I will be buying one very soon, and I have been trying to figure out what the joystik feels like. I know that it's a Digital stick, which I have never used, I've only used analog and D-Pads. Also, is there a device that is pretty common that has a simmilar stick? I hate emulation with the analog sticks of PS2 pads.

It's just like using an analogue stick except there's no degrees of movement just on and off. So you have to move it all the way to the left to register left. Everything inbetween is just a dead zone.

Fishbong posted on Oct 22 2006 at 03:16 AM said:
It´s a bit like on those arcade machines.

but arcade systems featured heavy-duty, full-size joysticks :lol:
I sometimes regret the lack of a D-pad...

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox posted on Oct 22 2006 at 02:56 PM said:
ok... just imagine a DPAD... now pretend you have a stick right in the middle of the DPAD. That's what the GP2X stick is like.
That did it for me. I've owned PC gamepads a long time ago that had a small plastic stick you could screw into the middle of the D-Pad, and the stick on the 2X dosent sound as bad as everyone says.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used one of those pads with the stick that screws in and I don't find the GP2x stick very similar to that. In particular the gamepad stick had a lot less distance to travel in each direction.

The best comparison I can think of is the analogue stick on the N64 pad.

Back