An image, an exhibition and 40 pages of awesomeness

I didn't mind zenity in the first boot script personally, but I still assume something using a more powerful toolkit would perhaps smooth some corners. The LCD settings script is my personal bugbear for using zenity though - a big list of things that should be clickable options, but instead are highlightable options you then need to okay. It's not broken, but until you realise the limitations of zenity, it leaves you wondering why it's done like that.

Thanks for the progress update, ED. Always good to hear things are moving forward, and I hope the Elecronica expo is as useful as you hope. And it's great that both hardware and software are now moving forwards apace!

Personally, I think Zenity is fine for most things. Although if someone improves it that would be fine. I actually like xmessage better than Zenity, and it does the same thing.

I'm not sure how the first-time-wizard's scripts are linked to the first-time-wizard's GUI, but is it that inconvenient that you have to code everthing new from scratch?

If it's possible to just change the overlaying GUI we would keep the funcionality of the old wizard with the bells and whistles of a new GUI.

I personally LOVE the input-scheme of the PNDManager! It really looks and feels professional and "natural" to the pandoras control layout.

You're always made aware of which button does what, with the little icons.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pndmanager-bzar

In my own little dream world we would have this control scheme for all essential setup programs,

and a matching layer for every "standard" emulator (NES, SNES, etc.). Everytime i want to show someone my pandora

i have to take it away again for changing roms, because EVERY emulator has a completely different control scheme

for loading and starting roms.

That's the final bit of polish that would make the Pyra look really professional, like a product of the big brand names.

I personally LOVE the input-scheme of the PNDManager! It really looks and feels professional and "natural" to the pandoras control layout.
At certain points, like pressing the final "Yes, install this" button in PND Manager, don't we have to use the touchscreen?  I haven't tried using Tab and seeing if I can highlight buttons yet, but that'd be almost as inconvenient.  It's mostly great, but having to let go of the Pandora and press the button on the screen each time I install something is at least noticeably inconvenient.

I have never had to use the touch screen to use the PND Manager. Are you thinking of the default PND Store? PND Manager is very keyboard friendly, big buttons telling you what to press and stuff.

Deleting comments requires the touch screen, doesn't it?

I am :p

EDIT: Okay, longer answer. The current first boot wizard is just a shell script. Zenity allows you to create dialogs with simple commands without touching UI layout and stuff. It's quite an easy way to parametrize shell commands interactively.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neelix: Well, I'm not actually using panorama, but pretty much the same behind the scenes stuff, only in Qt5. What makes you ponder about the practicality, exactly?

Well I've always liked the idea behind it, and I figure it would make a certain amount of sense to integrate it into the firmware and use it for whatever new guis would be needed. It was after all originally designed to drive the interface for the Pandora before all the politics got in the way, so why shouldn't it's original purpose be realised in the Pyra?

just a thought anyway... :)

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
I am :p

EDIT: Okay, longer answer. The current first boot wizard is just a shell script. Zenity allows you to create dialogs with simple commands without touching UI layout and stuff. It's quite an easy way to parametrize shell commands interactively.
Better use Yad nowadays, it's an fork of Zenity, still actively developed (Zenity isnt) and adding a lot more functions while still remaining simple.

Back