An Appropriate Poem For Op

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Looking at the pics for the moulds and finally having no shred of optimism left, a poem flashed into my head and I thought I'd share with everyone. Figure it might hit home for OP as well as all of us.

1. The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 20

Phawx said:
Looking at the pics for the moulds and finally having no shred of optimism left, a poem flashed into my head and I thought I'd share with everyone. Figure it might hit home for OP as well as all of us.
This happens to be a favorite of mine (I love Frost in general).
I have always taken it to mean, essentially:

- I am presented with two choices and it's difficult to tell which one is better
- I choose one mostly at random, or for a personal reason
- I would rather tell myself that I have made good decisions than to look back on my life and regret not exploring the other opportunities every time I was presented with a choice.

And I'm not really sure how it applies to this situation. What decision did OP make that you wished they hadn't? Cheaping out on parts to produce faster? Not underestimating production speed?

Last edited by a moderator:
This poem is often recited at the end of a school year, or at graduation ceremonies. It's commonly interpreted as an admonishment to take the road less travelled, rather than the one well worn, the implication being that the more difficult path is often the most rewarding.

We'll see how well this applies to Pandora when they finally ship. :)

Edit: Incidentally, the common interpretation I mentioned above may well be entirely wrong, but boy did my High School english teachers love to send us off with this one!

My interpretation is similar to the one you posted Sterling. In a nutshell: I did it my way, no regrets.

Of course, the beauty of interpretation is that no one is wrong!

_Sterling said:
This poem is often recited at the end of a school year, or at graduation ceremonies. It's commonly interpreted as an admonishment to take the road less travelled, rather than the one well worn, the implication being that the more difficult path is often the most rewarding.

We'll see how well this applies to Pandora when they finally ship. :)

Edit: Incidentally, the common interpretation I mentioned above may well be entirely wrong, but boy did my High School english teachers love to send us off with this one!
See the problem I've always had with this interpretation is that he says that there is no difference in the two paths. One is not obviously less traveled by. He says "they look similar, but one looks like it was traveled less, but actually now that I look at it it looks pretty much the same." So the part that seems the crux of the poem to me is that he's justifying a difficult choice just for the sake of justifying it, even though back then there really was no reason to choose one or the other. Because the justification is really the point, being at peace with your decision, no matter what anyone else may say. No regrets.

But as Gruso said, you may interpret it however you want, and I see how the poem applies if it's interpreted in that way, so thanks for answering my question.

Hmm. Reading it over (and over) I'm definitely seeing more in it (and perhaps less connection to this project?).

Damn you Phawx, I don't need a distraction like this today! :p

@rapidpoobear

It's very plain to see that both roads *literally* are the same. But *figuratively* he "feels" he took the one less traveled by. It's less traveled by because, it is unique to him.

Yes, yes, justifying for justification sake is meaningless. Which is why it's important, we as humans, find meaning in nothing. <-- that makes all the difference. The beauty of R.Frost's poems isn't supposed to be a formula with an exactness. It is supposed to evoke a sense of understanding to the bearer. The answer is unique to us all. When I read the poem, I think about Linus messing around in 91, Me with my gateway 2000 and 8MB of ram, licensing of x86, SNES, Genesis, 68k, and all these different things with technology and gaming (my hobbies) coalescing to the point at Sept 30th 2008.

Two Roads, to me, doesn't actually have anything to do with two roads. Because two is really just n in my head. Kind of like the multiverse. The two(n) roads look the same as we walk, because it's actually just one. The poem should invoke recollection. For me, when I read the poem and realize how far we've come with the project, it kind of puts everything in perspective. An inner-peace if you will. Instead of being bothered by delay after delay, ultimately my hobbies are what led me here. My road less traveled by. <--- Again, That makes all the difference.

If you take this poem as literal as it seems, perhaps you could share with me your interpretation of Fire and Ice?

@Gruso

Don't let the logical robot side of you win!

Phawx said:
@rapidpoobear

It's very plain to see that both roads *literally* are the same. But *figuratively* he "feels" he took the one less traveled by. It's less traveled by because, it is unique to him.

Yes, yes, justifying for justification sake is meaningless. Which is why it's important, we as humans, find meaning in nothing. <-- that makes all the difference. The beauty of R.Frost's poems isn't supposed to be a formula with an exactness. It is supposed to evoke a sense of understanding to the bearer. The answer is unique to us all. When I read the poem, I think about Linus messing around in 91, Me with my gateway 2000 and 8MB of ram, licensing of x86, SNES, Genesis, 68k, and all these different things with technology and gaming (my hobbies) coalescing to the point at Sept 30th 2008.

Two Roads, to me, doesn't actually have anything to do with two roads. Because two is really just n in my head. Kind of like the multiverse. The two(n) roads look the same as we walk, because it's actually just one. The poem should invoke recollection. For me, when I read the poem and realize how far we've come with the project, it kind of puts everything in perspective. An inner-peace if you will. Instead of being bothered by delay after delay, ultimately my hobbies are what led me here. My road less traveled by. <--- Again, That makes all the difference.

If you take this poem as literal as it seems, perhaps you could share with me your interpretation of Fire and Ice?
Yeah Phawx, that's basically how I see it as well.
I just feel like the poem is really about choosing the path that will make you the happiest, and that you can look back on and be at peace with.

He took the one less traveled by, and that's why he is happy with his decision. If you like following in other people's footsteps and building on their successes, the poem still applies even though you don't take the 'less traveled by' path.

Most people take this poem to mean that, as Sterling said,
It's commonly interpreted as an admonishment to take the road less travelled, rather than the one well worn, the implication being that the more difficult path is often the most rewarding.
but I really see it as basically "follow your own way and you will be happy, no matter what it is."

I'm really just talking myself in circles here. Basically I agree with you and with most of the other interpretations, I just wasn't sure how it applied to the project and now I see you just meant it in a general sense, which I wholeheartedly agree with. We're all here for a reason. I can't wait to see what will happen once this thing is in my hands! :)

Back