GP32 Amiga Emulator for GP32

ConsoleTom

Website
Visit site
Hi !

My dream of new GP32 ports would be an amiga emulator. I mean an Amiga 500 (7Mhz) with 1 MB RAM and 1 or 2 floppies.

Is it possible to emulate this system ?

I know there could be a resolution problem but most games run at 320x200.

Greetings

Tobi

I too, would LOVE to see an Amig emulator on the GP32, if it was possible to get a good A600 emu that could run the original Flashback, I'd be in heaven.

The Amiga's processor is easily to emulate, it's the custom processors (Agnus, Paula, Denise, etc) that make is difficult.

If someone did a good job on the CPU emulation couldnt that code be used with other emulation projects (megadrive etc)

Sorry if this sounds dumb im not much of a coder, but I know they share the 68000 processor.

Amiga was ahead of it's time, and would be quite difficult to emulate. It ran at 7.14Mhz with custom chips, whereas the snes ran at 3.58mz max with custom chips. Snes is nowhere near full speed with sound at the moment, so an amiga emulator may be beyond the reach of the GP32. I know this isn't a fasir comparison, but emulating the custom chips basically requires writing a seperate emulator for each, and making them all work together in one process... not easy, and a LOT of work!

BTW - it's still alive - go to www.amiga.com

Axeman posted on Dec 11 2003 at 07:14 AM said:
Amiga was ahead of it's time, and would be quite difficult to emulate.
Check out the information on the most well known Amiga emulator, UAE. I know that on a 60 Mhz PPC chip, (MacOS) UAE only runs at about 5 fps. The likelyhood of getting anything useful out of the GP32 is pretty much nil. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
UAE is a masterpiece but I think it's higly portable code and not optimized very much because of portability. One thing that takes a lot of time to emulate/convert is the that the Amiga stored all it's graphics in bitplane format (not standard VGA/chunkypixel format). Does not GP32 store its graphics in bitplanes?
I think PPC601? 60 Mhz equals a 100-133 Mhz ARM9 (yes totally different processors but both are RISC though)...

8-10 FPS if UAE source optimized for ARM9 and GP32 with some asm and stuff would be possible I think... even more I think if you could use the fact that both machines uses bitplanes for storing graphics internally...

Back