Amiga And Dos

christo930

I just noticed that the Dingoo doesn't have a dos or Amiga emulator! Does anyone know if anyone is working on them? I would really like to see an Amiga and Dos emulator for the Dingoo since I am considering getting one. I know it's just speculation, but if they do come out, what would the performance be relative to the gp2x? Actually, what is the performance of the Dingoo overall relative to the gp2x?

Chris

What DOS games would you run on the Dingoo with controls as they are?

migo said:
What DOS games would you run on the Dingoo with controls as they are?

Where do I start? Jill of the Jungle, Keen, Duke Nukem... The list goes on and on.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The processor of the Dingoo isn`t fast enough to emulate a DOS PC. A Dos PC, even an 286 is a much to powerful 32 Bit processor to be emulated by a 400 MHz Mips processor.
I guess the same goes for the Amiga with all it's custom chips, but I'm not really sure of that.
For Duke Nukem 3D and Commander Keen you can take the Dingux ports, they run fine.

CKeichel said:
The processor of the Dingoo isn`t fast enough to emulate a DOS PC. A Dos PC, even an 286 is a much to powerful 32 Bit processor to be emulated by a 400 MHz Mips processor.
I guess the same goes for the Amiga with all it's custom chips, but I'm not really sure of that.
For Duke Nukem 3D and Commander Keen you can take the Dingux ports, they run fine.

The 286 isn't 32 bit, it's 16 bit with a 24 bit address bus and is only running at 12mhz. A gp2x can almost do the 286-12, so I don't see why the dingoo couldn't. I don't play duke nukem 3d, I play regular duke nukem and duke nukem 2 (although I think 1 is better). I am not crazy about the port of keen 1,2,3 and to be honest, I think keen 4 and 5 are much better. Is the dingoo port of keen 123 any good? Does it have sound and all?
As for the Amiga, I don't see why it shouldn't be at least as good as the gp2x (although, from what I understand, the 68k core is supposed to be really optimized for arm). There are a number of good Amiga games I would like to play on it.

christo930 said:
The 286 isn't 32 bit, it's 16 bit with a 24 bit address bus and is only running at 12mhz. A gp2x can almost do the 286-12, so I don't see why the dingoo couldn't. I don't play duke nukem 3d, I play regular duke nukem and duke nukem 2 (although I think 1 is better). I am not crazy about the port of keen 1,2,3 and to be honest, I think keen 4 and 5 are much better. Is the dingoo port of keen 123 any good? Does it have sound and all?
As for the Amiga, I don't see why it shouldn't be at least as good as the gp2x (although, from what I understand, the 68k core is supposed to be really optimized for arm). There are a number of good Amiga games I would like to play on it.

Sure, your right about the 286, I looked in the GP2x Wiki for the Dosbox (http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox) and it seems that almost no game runs fullspeed with sound enabled. OK Duke 1-3 are running, so if you want to play this, it should be possible.
An Amiga was a lot more then a Motorola 68000 CPU, this machine had a very complicated sound and graphic architecture, unlike the Atari ST, which at this moment isn't running at fullspeed under Dingux. And if you look at the GP2x Wiki for UAE4All (http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/UAE4all) you can see that many games don't run fullspeed, even on a overclocked GP2x.

CKeichel said:
christo930 said:

Sure, your right about the 286, I looked in the GP2x Wiki for the Dosbox (http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox) and it seems that almost no game runs fullspeed with sound enabled. OK Duke 1-3 are running, so if you want to play this, it should be possible.
An Amiga was a lot more then a Motorola 68000 CPU, this machine had a very complicated sound and graphic architecture, unlike the Atari ST, which at this moment isn't running at fullspeed under Dingux. And if you look at the GP2x Wiki for UAE4All (http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/UAE4all) you can see that many games don't run fullspeed, even on a overclocked GP2x.

There should be a great number of early PC games which would run on dosbox for gp2x or Dingoo.
I do hope someone is working on a port of dosbox and UAE4all, even if it wasn't 100% compatible. My gp2x doesn't overclock even 1 mhz. At 241 mhz it locks the machine up.

Chris

EUAE doesn't even run some fullspeed apps for AmigaOS on my Intel Mac Mini at 1.83 GHz correctly, particularly Total Chaos AGA which recommends a 50 MHz 68060 processor to run perfectly. FWIW though, the last of the Amiga patents will expire next year so maybe an AGA compatible core could be developed for an Amiga-compatible handheld device to run Amiga code natively without an emulator at all.

Samurai_Crow said:
EUAE doesn't even run some fullspeed apps for AmigaOS on my Intel Mac Mini at 1.83 GHz correctly, particularly Total Chaos AGA which recommends a 50 MHz 68060 processor to run perfectly. FWIW though, the last of the Amiga patents will expire next year so maybe an AGA compatible core could be developed for an Amiga-compatible handheld device to run Amiga code natively without an emulator at all.

Most (probably 90%) work on an a500 and I don't see why that wouldn't be doable on the Dingoo or even the gp2x, the problem is that these consoles are getting (mostly) pc ports of the emulators. I think if it were re-written specifically for the gp2x or Dingoo, that they could achieve excellent compatibility (a500) and speed.

Back