Am I Doing Something Wrong?

forgeflow

Still Fresh
Just received my brand new Wiz (the serial information indicates that it's build date was May 5th, so it's pretty fresh). First thing I did was dump a bunch of my old GP2X software on it, but nothing runs.

Going through the File Archive at OpenHandhelds I've been pulling down "Wiz" versions of various programs. Some of them work perfectly, or mostly perfectly. Doom runs without music even though I have timidity at the root of the SD card. Quake runs well and looks awesome. Quake 2 looks great, but there is no sound, at all. Mame4All works with the same roms that didn't work on my old GP2X still not working on this one (no surprise there).

Some things don't work at all, even though they are listed as for the Wiz - Wolfenstein never leaves the loading screen. Vice Wiz simply returns back to the menu after few moments. Shanghai2x does not work. Rise of the Triad - no dice.

Have I failed to install some crucial library that all these games need? Most of the stuff on the File Archive comes with rudimentary, or worse, no documentation, so I'm a little in the dark as to what to expect. I thought this thing was backwards compatible with the old GP2X but my experience has been that not a single piece of software from the old machine has worked on the new one.

Are the games that are running built to more up to date firmware, and the old games that are not working now perhaps built to earlier dev releases? The firmware on this Wiz indicates version 1.0.0 and I see no firmware update on the GP2XWiz.com site (at least the english version of the site and I don't read Korean very well.)

Any thoughts and comments on this are welcome. I'm feeling like a bit of a pioneer at the moment.

GP2X software is generally not compatible with the Wiz. Not sure what gave you the impression that it was.

You nailed it on the firmware mismatch issue. GPH is really screwing this up, I'm not surprised though.

forgeflow posted on May 22 2009 at 02:15 AM said:
Vice Wiz simply returns back to the menu after few moments. Shanghai2x does not work. Rise of the Triad - no dice.

Have I failed to install some crucial library that all these games need? Most of the stuff on the File Archive comes with rudimentary, or worse, no documentation, so I'm a little in the dark as to what to expect. I thought this thing was backwards compatible with the old GP2X but my experience has been that not a single piece of software from the old machine has worked on the new one.
Vice has some problems with libcastor.so (Pickle is the creator, still figuring out what is the problem)
Rise of the Triad, works, but you have to copy the game files, shareware or fullversion.

And Exophase is right about the compatiblity of the GP2X, there is just none.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rise of the Triad, works, but you have to copy the game files, shareware or fullversion.

Confirmed. Runs great. :D

Moomin posted on May 22 2009 at 01:37 AM said:
To enable sound in Quake 2 go to the options and change sound quality from low to high. Works for me
Confirmed that this works. Awesome!

Just a follow up question to getting quake 2 running on the wiz. Do I understand correctly, that I just need to put the pak files in the base2q folder (pak0 and pak1) and then Quake 2 should be running? Sound works when I the sound quality is changed from low to high?

Regards

André

and then Quake 2 should be running? Sound works when I the sound quality is changed from low to high?
Depends on which Quake 2 you have your hands on.

If you have ioquake2 you are hooped until Pickle uploads a fixed version. It doesn't run at all, no matter what you do.

If you got the SDLQuake2, then yes, you need to put pak0.pak, pak1.pak, and pak2.pak into the base2q folder. Some people don't have the pak2.pak, as this was part of the last point update for quake2 - it's very small and not 100% necessary. You can also put the video folder in the base2q folder if you want all of the logo/intro/cutscene videos in the game. I also recommend the following:

1 create a file called autoexec.cfg in the base2q folder, with the following contents:

set s_khz 44

2 edit the .gpe file for the game (i renamed mine to quake2.gpe - can't remember what the original one was called) to read:

#!/bin/sh

./sdlquake2

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

That's it - quake 2 will run with sound. The sound for the opening logo might not play the first time you run the game until the first demo has run at least once. A couple of notes: You can't save your game. You can run the mission packs, but due to a memory problem, they'll crash if sound is enabled (change their autoexec.cfg to read "set s_khz 11" to turn their sound off). The instructions for getting the mission packs to run in the read-me is incorrect. Here is how to run the xatrix mission pack (for example):

1 Create a folder named "xatrix" in the Quake 2 folder.
2 Put the xatrix pak0.pak file in the xatrix folder, and optionally, the video folder
3 copy the autoexec.cfg file from the base2q folder into the xatrix folder and edit it to read "set s_khz 11"
4 copy the quake2.gpe to a new file called xatrix.gpe and edit it's contents to read:

#!/bin/sh

./sdlquake2 +set game xatrix

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Hopefully Pickle will resolve the issue with ioquake2 now that he's got his Wiz unbricked. :)

Back