Alternative Audio Players?

VLC is a great player in my experience. I use it on my desktop because it's unobtrusive (and does support gap-less playback), and although it doesn't have a full selectable track/album/artist style GUI, you don't need one just to load an album from a folder. I'd definitely add to the recommendations to give it a go, and I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that it'd be packaged up for Pandora (maybe that was a dream?).

that Cmus stuff just seams wonderfull...
I hope someone makes PND for this by the time I get my Pandora

I often use my Pandora for playing music from my Network. Unfortunately the built in Wi-fi isn't reliable to stream without fairly big buffer, which results in a 5-10 second delay between tracks. Does anybody know a media player that ill pre-cache the next song on the playlist? Or a way to get mplayer to do so?

Pleng said:
I often use my Pandora for playing music from my Network. Unfortunately the built in Wi-fi isn't reliable to stream without fairly big buffer, which results in a 5-10 second delay between tracks. Does anybody know a media player that ill pre-cache the next song on the playlist? Or a way to get mplayer to do so?

I second this question I am planning to do the same :)

Did anybody give squeezebox server software a try, I would love if somebody could turn the pandora into a squeezebox like device. Will also try to do some stuff with my limited knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Rhythmbox? It comes with Ubuntu releases and I find it to be very very good. It supports everything from gapless playback to last.fm.

It's open source too...

Bosbeetle said:
What you can not run mupen64plus and exaile while editing a picture in gimp and chatting with somebody, what a turn off!
Oh, come on, now :rolleyes:

MonkeyChops said:
Code:
cmus: Error: couldn't open directory `/usr/local/lib/cmus/ip': No such file or directory
cmus: Error: couldn't open directory `/usr/local/lib/cmus/op': No such file or directory
cmus: loading /usr/local/share/cmus/rc: No such file or directory

Okay, so it seems that Cmus has generated some libraries and such. This might be five or ten minutes of mucking about in the shell if you guys are still interested?

Alerino said:
fraseyboy said:
What about Rhythmbox? It comes with Ubuntu releases and I find it to be very very good. It supports everything from gapless playback to last.fm.

It's open source too...

it will have to be ported
it's not in the angstrom repo

I'll try installing it on my Abused Fluffy Kitten Debian tommorow when my Pandora is online. B)

SomeGuy99 said:
MonkeyChops said:
Code:
cmus: Error: couldn't open directory `/usr/local/lib/cmus/ip': No such file or directory
cmus: Error: couldn't open directory `/usr/local/lib/cmus/op': No such file or directory

Okay, so it seems that Cmus has generated some libraries and such. This might be five or ten minutes of mucking about in the shell if you guys are still interested?
Still interested :)

Azure said:
SomeGuy99 said:
MonkeyChops said:
Code:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zyjwdzzzndz

- Extract to a folder (sd or home folder etc) for example if you extract to 'cmus libs'.

-Navigate to this folder, right-click 'open terminal here'.

If the folder only contains the contents of the zip:

Code:
sudo cp * /usr/local -R

If you extracting to a folder with other stuff in it:

Code:
sudo cp lib /usr/local -R

Code:
sudo cp share /usr/local -R

Run it again. Does it work?

SomeGuy99 said:
Azure said:
SomeGuy99 said:
MonkeyChops said:
Code:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zyjwdzzzndz

- Extract to a folder (sd or home folder etc) for example if you extract to 'cmus libs'.

-Navigate to this folder, right-click 'open terminal here'.

If the folder only contains the contents of the zip:

Code:
sudo cp * /usr/local -R

If you extracting to a folder with other stuff in it:

Code:
sudo cp lib /usr/local -R

Code:
sudo cp share /usr/local -R

Run it again. Does it work?
It tells me that '/usr/local' is not a directory?

In a default firmware, that's completely correct.. /usr/local doesn't exist, and it threw me off when I did the overlay stuff as things that need it do create it!
So, you can just create it manually :) sudo mkdir /usr/local

I might look at PNDing up CMus later when I'm no doubt beating my head against the desk with something I've got stuck on with the chrooting madness I'm up to.

vvv Yes, SomeGuy, it is... fear my AbUsed Fluffy kittenS! ;)

Azure said:
It tells me that '/usr/local' is not a directory?

Ah, so the directory doesn't exist?

Code:
sudo mkdir /usr/local

(makes a directory)

Then repeat the above. Sorry for the extreme tedium by the way <_<

Stuckie, is this Ninja Karma?!

still missing rc
Code:

MonkeyChops said:
still missing rc
Code:

I just double checked the archive, and the file is there. Did you copy both folders?

so it was. I forgot to add the -R ad i had already created the directories but anyways, it loads up now but its just a blank page with "artist/track ect" at top. it doesn't seem to accept any commands. how do I get it to work?

thanks for the help btw :)

Make a pnd file out of it :) (cmus)

If you're stuck, post the tarball/zip of binaries and dependancies and I can take a look at putting something together, but I'm time-tight right now :(

jeff

MonkeyChops said:
so it was. I forgot to add the -R ad i had already created the directories but anyways, it loads up now but its just a blank page with "artist/track ect" at top. it doesn't seem to accept any commands. how do I get it to work?

thanks for the help btw :)

It's quite keyboard heavy, but it all makes sense once you know the keys.

http://gitorious.org/cmus/cmus/blobs/master/Doc/cmus.txt

^Full walkthrough.

But briefly, the keys:

1 = Album/Song library view
2 = Song library view
3 = Playlist view
4 = Play queue
5 = File browser
6 = Filters
7 = Setup (note: you can remap keys here)

To quickly play songs, hit '5' and navigate to your song. Hit enter.

Play control:

ZXCVB (Prev/Play/pause/stop/next)

Add files to the library:

In file browser, hit 'a' on any file or folder with mp3s in it.

thanks again. I ended up figuring it out last night and used it all day today (working weekends sucks :angry: ) It never crashed like exaile liked to do every 4 hours or so.

btw, where did you get cmus from? I don't see it in the repository.

Back