CMUS a backend for MP3 plaback capability?

richiz

Hi

I'm trying to create a backend for mp3 playback capability. The goal is to to have mp3 playback using key bindings and to simplify things it will only play MP3s stored at Memory_Card_Slot_1\Muisic. Meaning in game/mini menu or XFC you only press

Left trigger + 1 = Plays/pauses

L trigger + 2 or 3 = previous and next

And it will start playing. Hopefully this will mean whatever app your in you can kick start mp3s relatively easy.

CMUS installs to the NANd and only takes up ONE mb of space.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,251

Thing is it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Can someone see what's up with and possibly fix it?

How would I implement this? Would a startup script in linux be the way forward? I'm open to using another applilcation but I thought as CMUS installs to NANd it would be easiest to implement. I'm a pretty newb programmer but I'm a pretty quick learner but still could use a hand in implementing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
cmus looks like a better bet as it is a full command line music player which is installed on the nand.

I agree; I love CMUS. MPD doesn't have any queueing capabilities that I know of, and CMUS is much more complete in my opinion. That said, I was very disappointed when the installer PND didn't work; it only had WAV input capabilities and could only output to OSS. So, I decided to give porting it a go, and I got it working as a proper PND, with MP3 and OGG input (and WAV) and ALSA input. The PND doesn't install to the NAND, but it is only like 600 kb. I couldn't get it to work with writing to the PND file, though, so it stores config data on the NAND.

It also comes with a remote (cmus-remote) that lets you control everything it does, and it would be simple to map that to XFCE hotkeys. I have it configured like that on my desktop. It does seem to have a problem with special characters, but that may just be my font. I'll post up the PND in the software testing forum.

Back