Alienblaster 1.02

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
HI!

Ive put some effort into this port and I have have fixed all the problems I could find.
If you tried the last version, give this one a try before you abandon it entirely.

The major updates are fixing the surfaces to be HW instead is SW, this enabled the game to use the HW accelerated blits through SDL properly. In other words it runs much faster than the previous version.
Second ive added the diagonals directions on the gamepad. There are other smaller fixes, see the README for more details.

The game runs well at 220 Mhz, give it more if you think it needs it. As before ive provided GP2X and Windows bin's. The source code is also included.

I think ive ported this to my satisfaction, I hope some of you can enjoy as I have.
The update should be at the original entry (once the file is updated): Here

hey pickle i'll test this later on for you. i'm not really using my gp2x for gameing but seeing that noone has yet posted a single comment about it will try it . Will let you know later this day how it went :)

joyrider said:
hey pickle i'll test this later on for you. i'm not really using my gp2x for gameing but seeing that noone has yet posted a single comment about it will try it . Will let you know later this day how it went :)
Thank you,

Nice to see the file was updated. It would be nice if the upload system did updated files automatically.
Im accounting some of th slowness to the file not being available.

I hope most people give it a shot, it really isnt bad for a homebrew game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
joyrider said:
Thank you,

Nice to see the file was updated. It would be nice if the upload system did updated files automatically.

Well i just tested it and it works great ! it seems a bit slow but when u run the windows version u'll notice it's slow movement in there as well so that's normal.

It's indeed a nice game and everything worked like it should.

good work !

joyrider said:
Pickle said:
joyrider said:
Thank you,

Well i just tested it and it works great ! it seems a bit slow but when u run the windows version u'll notice it's slow movement in there as well so that's normal.

It's indeed a nice game and everything worked like it should.

good work !

Thanks, as in slow are you refering to the speed at which the ships move? If you havnt give a little higher clock. Also the higher difficulty means more sprites, which needs more process power. I also like to watch the bullets to judge the speed, if they dont move well then the game needs a higher clock.
I think arcade mode uses a pretty high number of sprites, running at 220 it seemed ok, but more is always good.

yeah i ran it at default clockspeed without any cpu changes nor any ram changes.
but the game ran pretty good and indeed i was refering to the ships movement. But it's the same in the windows version so that's ok. It's very playable and i didn't find any problems with it :)

joyrider said:
yeah i ran it at default clockspeed without any cpu changes nor any ram changes.
but the game ran pretty good and indeed i was refering to the ships movement. But it's the same in the windows version so that's ok. It's very playable and i didn't find any problems with it :)
try the heavy fighter and the light fighter will seem fast :D

emphy said:
I get only a blank screen :( (windows version is working fine)
Which file are you loading the gpe script or the bin?
Can you look to see if there are stdout and stderr files's?
Can you do a telnet to your GP2X and run gpe script, and watch the message for possible reasons for the crash.

i can guess why he's getting a black screen though. did u copy the data files over as well as stated in the readme. and not just the directory containing the gpe ?

joyrider said:
i can guess why he's getting a black screen though. did u copy the data files over as well as stated in the readme. and not just the directory containing the gpe ?
after I posted I was thinking that too, the only thing is he got to work on the PC side so i am assuming he would have gotten that right. But its possible thats the cause (and more likely)

Pickle said:
Can you do a telnet to your GP2X and run gpe script, and watch the message for possible reasons for the crash.
I'm loading the gpe script, there's no stdout and stderr files after trying to run it.

The files are copied as in the readme. However, I don't use gmenu , could that be the cause of the problem?

emphy said:
Pickle said:
I'm loading the gpe script, there's no stdout and stderr files after trying to run it.

The files are copied as in the readme. However, I don't use gmenu , could that be the cause of the problem?

I dont think not having gmenu is the problem, to check I launched the gpe through the old game selector and it still loaded.

Inside your alienblaster folder do you have 2 files AlienBlaster.gpe and AlienBlaster.bin and 3 folders called cfg, sound, and images? If you have those try recopying all of the files again, maybe something is missing or corrupted. Do you think you can do a telnet?

I've got the files in the folders as described.

I'm not able to do a telnet.

emphy said:
I've got the files in the folders as described.

I'm not able to do a telnet.
the last thing I can think to try is rename the alienblaster.bin file extension to gpe and run that. Maybe there's a problem will the script with your setup.

i remember having someone with firmware 3.0.0 having problems with one of my games as well. that used a script to launch the game. he renamed the file and it worked however the menu doesn't get restarted then. The thing is sometimes the scripts don't have the executeable flag set even though it's a gpe file. i had it happening as well. so if it works by renaming the file to .gpe it's most probably the script which needs an executable flag set.

Back