After The 3000 First Batch

Status
Not open for further replies.
fanoush said:
I was not complaining but merely putting back few bits of reality into IMO too optimistic statements. Sorry for that, next time I will resist that temptation and won't spoil the fun :)
Yes - damn you and your knowledge and practical experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
fanoush said:
Not hundreds but 5 to 10 is practical and quite handy for "Simple web browsing, and email". Get N810, you'll see what I mean :)
I used to compile on my x286 with 1 whole meg of RAM, and it didn't take any serious lengths of time; a few minutes, perhaps. My 486 with 4 megs of ram literally devoured the compile time. My P2@500 mhz with 128 megs of ram finishes pretty much any job I throw at it in under 10 seconds. The Pandora should have no problem keeping up.
Same P2, it takes 20 tabs before Firefox starts to crawl. Flash disabled, of course. The official Linux based flash is (was?) a memory hog with several leaks, so that could be your problem.

Anywho, from personal anecdotal evidence, the two things you've mentioned don't seem like reality checks to me. You got anything else?

icurafu said:
windows xp + firefox + 20 tabs + 128MB of RAM. I'd like to see that.
I guess you mean, 10 seconds every time you go from one tab to enough, retrieving from virtual memory to RAM.

Windows XP on 128 meg ram? HAH! Try Win2K, the only great OS to ever come out of Microsoft.
10 seconds was the compile time, instant tab switching.

icurafu said:
That's impressive. Any compatibility issues with firefox?

Any virus woes from zero patch support?
No, why?
I should also mention that that box is long since retired. Picked up a new quad core a few months ago.

No matter how many tabs firefox supports, it will never beat my home setup. I game on my PC, but I didn't buy 4gb of ram for games, I use it mostly for firefox. I even had to install that tab counter extension as when I approach 120ish tabs it starts to slow down my pc :)

PSyMastR said:
No matter how many tabs firefox supports, it will never beat my home setup. I game on my PC, but I didn't buy 4gb of ram for games, I use it mostly for firefox. I even had to install that tab counter extension as when I approach 120ish tabs it starts to slow down my pc :)
Well, if it was only firefox. I always start firefox, konqueror.khtml, konqueror.webkit, opera, epiphany, flock, arora, kazehakaze, links, lynx, w3m, seamonkey and internet-explorer in wine before i even begin to surf, All on my desktop + in at least 5 VMs and with about 200 tabs opened. If I couldn't use this setup, pandora would be absolutely useless to me :rolleyes:

conso said:
PSyMastR said:
Well, if it was only firefox. I always start firefox, konqueror.khtml, konqueror.webkit, opera, epiphany, flock, arora, kazehakaze, links, lynx, w3m, seamonkey and internet-explorer in wine before i even begin to surf, All on my desktop + in at least 5 VMs and with about 200 tabs opened. If I couldn't use this setup, pandora would be absolutely useless to me :rolleyes:
Safari hater! And what about Dillo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back