GP32 Adventure construction kit - Maerchen

giffel

Currently I am thinking about writing an adventure construction kit. This should enable visual novels first. You would need to collect some pictures (drawn, 3d, your digital camera) and think up some story, then type your adventure in a text editor on your pc. When you are ready, put it on SMC and execute it on your GP32 for testing.

The language to write the adventure in will be similar to html. So anybody should be able to use it. But be warned that a full blown adventure needs good scripting and loads of pictures to be fun. It is still a shitload of work, only the c programming part will be lifted from you.

At the moment I'm thinking about commands to display a picture or text and to jump to labels depending on menu choices or pressed keys.. I would like to know wether anybody would use it. (Apart from the one prospective user i talked to already :) )

it is an interesting project.
it would be cool if you think adding a sound support with mp3 music background support ( sources of libmad are avaible for gp32 ).
it is just an idea.

I don't know yet if i would make such a game because as you said it need a long time to release since the story is the most important thing.

And i spend my free time coding in C :)

but if i did not learn C i would of been very happy to have such an engine.
So i believe a lot of players with no programming knownledgement would be satisfy with this project.

Do you intend to make something close from Myst ?

You know me i've chatted to you on irc, and im about to start a gui system for mystalikes, so it would be interesting to swap codes for our respective projects, my project will preferably contain no text for internationalization.

Could someone tell me about the megagp thing can you get payed for it and do they encrypt the games that you upload?

There was a really nice game of the PC (DOS which nice 256 colour gfx) called "Ween" and that was a point and click interface where you had to solve puzzles before you were allowed to go onto the next puzzle. How about something like this? I've got Ween somewhere around here....

Giffel, I think that sounds like a wonderful idea! The more I read on these message boards I see people with games and ideas that they want to express, but without the necessary programming skills to do it.

I know that if something like this existed, I'd be the first one to make a game with it!

Flack

If your going to do something like this, it would be best to open source it and put it on source forge, and let other developers to contribute, and port it to as many platforms as possible.

Unless you want to eventually make money from it.

Kool idea ! :D
Anything that helps ppl to make their own types of games for the GP has gotta be great..
Shame Mark Sibley can't do a GP port of Blitz Basic, then we'd be in for a treat !
:)

Hmm... this is a really good idea! :)
I definetely fall in the "people with games and ideas that they want to express, but without the necessary programming skills to do it" category, so if something like this were made I figure it wouldn't be too difficult to make my own artwork, music, and story for something*... Once I get around to getting a scanner, that is ;)

*That sentiment will probably come back to haunt me many times over. :unsure:

Adventure games are fun...

If you do decide to go through with this project, I suggest adding the option of being able to choose what you want to say in response to things that various characters say to you (aka, those fun Monkey Island conversations).

Back