Platform construction kit?

johncross85

Startled By Midgets
Website
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of people out there who are keen to start programming for the GP32 (going off the number of posts from people asking how to get started) and this got me thinking about some kind of 'construction kit'. Shoot em up construction kit for the ST was excellent - where people with no programming experience whatsoever could use an art package to make sprites then import them into the kit to design maps and waves of enemies etc.

So how about a Win app that lets you design maps for an established and available game, like Rick Dangerous? I know there are ways to design Doom wads etc but I was thinking of something *really* simple - something to encourage complete novices rather than just saying "Step 1 : Learn how to program C++".

J(ohn)

Step 1 : Learn how to program C++ !!! ;)

i think using a 'construction kit' would be like using a taxi all the time if you want to get somewhere instead of getting a driving license. maybe its easier but you have much more possibilities when you use c/c++.
and its not realy that hard (if you use the devkitadv for ex.)

Well, I suppose as an idea it *could* cause problems insofar as some potential developers (who might have gone on to make loks of brilliant stuff) might do nothing because rather than learning to program, they learn to make platformers within an engine.

But personally, I suspect there would be a net gain, since there are an awful lot of people who would *love* to do something for the GP32, but don't have the time to learn C++ - but might just about have the time to throw together something for an engine, were that engine simple enough.

Hmm... perhaps you could have a program that allowed you to use a large gif, pcx, or jpg as the background, and draw areas over corridors, platforms, deathtraps (e.g. pits, spikes, etc.). Then just use the characters used in KOF91 as enemies and playables. Or make your own... It would work as a simple idea to start with, and would mean it was easily possible to make a very good game very quickly from some ripped gfx.

Back