I'm New To The World Of Wiz! Nice To Meet Ya!

dogeymon

Still Fresh
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey, everyone! I'm dogeymon! Last time I really was into any forum board for a game console was the Nokia N-gage. Now that NOKIA has deserted me in that area, I'm gave them the finger and left. I've known about Gamepark and their handhelds for a number of years now, but never had the interest. The thought of having tons of emulators for all my favorite games has tempted me though and recently I really got serious. It was between the GP2X F200 and the Wiz. The F200 is sold out everywhere and I can't get one anymore. And I lost two ebay battles to get one. So I figured, perhaps the Wiz is the way to go. I'll be getting mine in the mail extremely soon. Hope I made a good choice.

I'm slightly worried however that I bought one too early in the game. From the different things I hear, it's in the early testing phases, and not all the emulators work well for it. This makes me very sad. If anyone would like to help me get up to date in this topic I'd like to know some things.

What are the very best possible emulators for my Wiz concerning the following systems:

Sega Master
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Sega 32X
Nintendo NES
Nintendos SNES
Nintendo Gameboy/Color
Nintendo Gameboy Advance
MAME
Scumm

I'm really wondering mainly about these. I previously only did emulation on my Nokia N-gage for a portable, and little bit with the Tapwave Zodiac. The Zodiac was the best screen, but had the worst controls ever for a portable. I ditched that thing a long time ago.

Do all of the above systems work well on Wiz? I have all the roms already. Just need the emulators. And to know how I will install them. I've never used anything related to Linux in my entire life, and I'm not even quite sure what it is. Nice to meet you all!

Do all of the above systems work well on Wiz?
Yes, for all the systems there's an emulator available in the software archive:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi

Use the relating readme for each program to get it working...

all those systems will play sweet. only thing you have to worry about is if you have really big hands it can be a pain in the hand.

dogeymon said:

http://scummvm.distant-earth.com/ (and a new release is about to come out that supports the bigger 640*4xx games).

As for installing stuff:

No need to be any sort of 'Linux guru'. Just put the SD in your PC via a card reader or use the USB connection and copy apps to the right area of the game folder (and movies to movies, music to music etc. etc.). Its pretty hard to get wrong and most apps include a README that outlines anything specific they need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sega Master System - beautiful emulator, doesn't scale to the full screen though
Sega Game Gear - Same emulator as above. The gamegear is really just a mini master system, and it's actually pin-for-pin compatible with master system cartridges, so if one were to make a converter you could play your master system games on your gamegear, and vice versa. =P

Sega Genesis - Picodrive, Perfect, supports all games as far as I know. Also supports Sega CD

Sega 32X - Not sure about this one. I'm not a big fan of the 32X.

Nintendo NES - Great emulator, no fullscreen stretching, a little quiet for my taste.

Nintendo SNES - Most games work fine, mode 7 games are slow without overclocking, but can reach 30FPS which is playable with overclocking.

Nintendo Gameboy/Color - there is an emulator out, but it's buggy, the stretching doesn't really work well, there are sound issues, and I don't really recommend it at this time.

Nintendo Gameboy Advance - gpsp port, runs great, scaling, etc. Most games run great except for the more advanced "3D" games (tony hawk, etc.)

MAME - Great support for older games, some neogeo support, now VERY fast.

Scumm - Ported to the wiz, but I don't know much about it since i've never used it. =P

Back