About Time Indeed!

Alex.

Retired
http://blizzard.com/

http://www.starcraft2.com/

Will this kick ass or what? :)

Edit:

After reading some more, I'm a bit disappointed. It seems notable features are toyish looking 3D models, a beefed-up 3D/physics engine, and new gimmicky units. In other words, the stuff fun games are made of :rolleyes: The PC requirements will probably be through the roof too. At least there will always be the original SC. :)

Yeah, not many changes to the original, not even a new race, and few really new units. It´s all the fault of the korean Starcraft leagues bitching about how every change is bad because it could possibly shift the balance. What the koreans want is basically the same game in 3D, they don´t care about innovation.

Oh well, its still good news. At least they don´t make another MMO.

I'm hoping they won't bastardize this one like they did with WC3 by adding RPG elements. I want a pure RTS with an unpolluted strategy component dammit (though, Starcraft has always been about who's able to build the most units the fastest and then rush the opponent, so I guess I shouldn't expect much).

Also, yay for no fucking console ports. That would definitely lead to the UI being crapped on in order for it to fit the limited controllability of console gamepads.

Edit: on second thought, the Wiimote could possibly provide decent control, though I don't count it as a gamepad per se.

I've still not gotten around to playing the original even though I know I should have played it by now :unsure:

DemonStar55 said:
if the original one worked better under linux I would still be playing it. Hey, at least I've got CS still.
I've never had probs with starcraft under linux.

I'm glad SCII looks like a beefed up verison SC 1. Bigger maps, more units (numbers) ... yep!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine though if Blizzard had the balls to base SC2 on a slightly enhanced version of the original SC engine. Now that would've kicked some major ass, and kept the whole original look and feel that won so many hearts :)

epitaph said:
Also, yay for no fucking console ports. That would definitely lead to the UI being crapped on in order for it to fit the limited controllability of console gamepads.

Edit: on second thought, the Wiimote could possibly provide decent control, though I don't count it as a gamepad per se.
If it were to be on a console that wouldn't mean the PC interface would need to be bad. You could always have two separate interfaces.

Wiimote? well yeah but the graphics would have to be simpled up and rezed down for the wiik Wii hardware so much that the game would be near unrecognizeable ;)

Alex. said:
Imagine though if Blizzard had the balls to base SC2 on a slightly enhanced version of the original SC engine. Now that would've kicked some major ass, and kept the whole original look and feel that won so many hearts :)
but would have been a commercial failure?

Alex. said:
Well, that was the philosophy behind Starcraft originally - an upgraded version of Warcraft 2. When unveiled to the press in 1996, it was shunned, so they reworked it into the game we all know and love.

Back