About Snes Emulation

Heheh... now that would be a colaboration to see. I wonder how you'd all tackle it? Snes is such a wossname to get working right...

Tobriand said:
.. I wonder how you'd all tackle it? Snes is such a wossname to get working right...
They could just convert all "C" code to ASM for an instant speed up, that always works, right Squidge? :ph34r: :p

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
Tobriand said:
.. I wonder how you'd all tackle it? Snes is such a wossname to get working right...
They could just convert all "C" code to ASM for an instant speed up, that always works, right Squidge? :ph34r: :p

You trying to make me bite again? :p :D

please, gp2x gods/ultra-coders, don't bite me :)

Well, in the front of "easier" (air quotes) optimizations, sound could be moved to second core.... that would leave the first with cpu+graphics only, right? just by disabling sound in the snes emulator we already feel a boost in framerate, something like 9-10fps....

just my 2cents.

/me hides :)

CaDu said:
please, gp2x gods/ultra-coders, don't bite me :)

Well, in the front of "easier" (air quotes) optimizations, sound could be moved to second core.... that would leave the first with cpu+graphics only, right? just by disabling sound in the snes emulator we already feel a boost in framerate, something like 9-10fps....

just my 2cents.

/me hides :)
Gee, why didn't anyone else think of that? :rolleyes:

Shadowsithe said:
PokeParadox said:
Please please please!!! :lol: Maybe you could persuade Notaz in on the action too! ha ha
Shush, I'm still overjoyed that my beloved NES is getting attention.

Yeah... we need a cloning program for our best community coders... then everything can be covered if we can keep them motivated :lol:

"ZODTTD + Exophase + Notaz + Squidge = SNES" is maybe the coolest thing I've ever imagined!
Make us proud :lol:

There is always moving the SPC700 to Core #2.

Gets one monkey off SNES emulation's back.

(its an evil monkey however)

Also looks like my simple concept of how a HW accelerated PPU emulation should work needs some rethinking.

Every Sprite, Tile has Z Axis, Transparency state (sortof), ~some scaling / rotation (with limits).

Even the colour pallet lookup would get hella complex... a transparent tile accross X other sprites or tiles.

(meaning a X tile with Pallet 1 crosses Sprite/Tile Y with Pallet 2 = Addition pallet 1+2, would be ,more like
X+Y+Z+A, 1,2,3,4 = 1+2+3+4...bleh, not to mention the logic to figure out WHERE to use each pallet....argh)

Too bad the DVD hardware does everything in YUV colour space... I'd bet there would be something useful in there.

go team snes! zodttd, notaz, squidge and exophase... that would be like the justice league except in the emulation world.

HAHAHA, i'm just grateful for what you guys have done already.

Do whatever you're interested in, it's all great stuff!!!

cowai said:
"ZODTTD + Exophase + Notaz + Squidge = SNES" is maybe the coolest thing I've ever imagined!
This could be the most effective way to build a good piece of software. Instead of every dev makes his own thing here and there, the pro's could merge their power and focus only on one Emulator per time. When finished, the next emu/program can be optimized and so on. I think this can bring much more than the "old" method. :)

fusion_power said:
cowai said:
This could be the most effective way to build a good piece of software. Instead of every dev makes his own thing here and there, the pro's could merge their power and focus only on one Emulator per time. When finished, the next emu/program can be optimized and so on. I think this can bring much more than the "old" method. :)

The problem with that approach, is that the devs are spread over quite a few time zones. Getting together to hash things out, even virtually, can be a problem.

I've worked on projects before where you just can't get on with coding because you're waiting for something from someone who is sleeping. By the time they've woken up, done a days work and then done whatever you're waiting for, you're busy at work. Finally you sit down to use whatever it is, and have a question you need answered about it. But the other guy's asleep again (lazy swine), so you send an email that he'll pick up when he wakes.

Rinse and repeat for every little thing and it can be downright discouraging. So while you're waiting you start working on something on your own, and it's so much easier that you pretty much lose interest in the original project.

Coder said:
fusion_power said:
cowai said:

The problem with that approach, is that the devs are spread over quite a few time zones. Getting together to hash things out, even virtually, can be a problem.

I've worked on projects before where you just can't get on with coding because you're waiting for something from someone who is sleeping. By the time they've woken up, done a days work and then done whatever you're waiting for, you're busy at work. Finally you sit down to use whatever it is, and have a question you need answered about it. But the other guy's asleep again (lazy swine), so you send an email that he'll pick up when he wakes.

Rinse and repeat for every little thing and it can be downright discouraging. So while you're waiting you start working on something on your own, and it's so much easier that you pretty much lose interest in the original project.

which is why, if you code for the gp2x, the people on the boards should get to vote on your schedule.

Back