A Question on monitors and internet.

techno65535

Still Fresh
Found out about the Pandora yesterday, looks really awesome. My questions are as follows:

1. Can it support 2 external monitors?
2. Can the internal display be turned off?
3. Will I be able to use my sierra wireless aircard with it to get online? Yes, it's a usb model.

Asking these questions because it looks like a good base for a wearable computer. Was thinking about using my aircard to get online, and a moded set of Myvu crystal glasses for one display. Also found a usb monitor and was considering using it as a second display. Whole idea is that I could have the pandora in a pocket or backpack and use the HMD for most things, pulling the usb monitor out to look at other things/have other info displayed on it. Would be easier to pull out than the whole pandora.

If these questions have been answered elsewhere then please provide a link.

It can't support 2 external monitors. It just can drive the internal one and a tv-screen via s-video.
But someone could maybe hack the internal monitor output to dvi.

lol @ wanting 2 monitors
has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I've mentioned this many times before, but you will probably be better off with a BeagleBoard if you plan to use external high-res screens.

The BeagleBoard has DVI/HDMI output for high resolution screens, and costs less than half at $150 US.

For a wearable computer you would probably be better off with a bigger battery to help power the screens and wireless anyway, so the money really is saved.

I think the newer BeagleBoards may even have the same amount of RAM and onboard Flash.

Not that I knock the Pandora mind you, it is just that if you don't plan to use the screen or keyboard, and the battery won't support all day wireless, you won't be gaining any benefits.

Not to mention that HDMI/DVI is a much better screen interface.

RE: USB VIDEO MONITOR

If there aren't ARM drivers for LINUX (fully open drivers written in C or C+ that can compile for ARM targets might work), then the display won't be any use.

Maybe in the future there can be a wearable version of the Pandora. (I think that with all the kids hooked on texting now wearable computing might come into fashion, at least the heads up will help them not run into things.)

nubie_Pheonix said:
I think the newer BeagleBoards may even have the same amount of RAM and onboard Flash
Almost. The latest (rev. c2) has 256MB RAM and 256MB NAND flash. The Pandora has 256MB RAM and 512MB NAND flash. The amount of RAM is the most important part though.

Back