A question about my charging habits

HF6a4 should be pretty stable regarding to charging.

I connected my Pandora to the AC for the full last week and it shut down at 100% and restarted at 90%.

No more fears here :)

Thanks Ed, that's awesome news.

If these batteries do swell in some peoples cases due to prolonged overtime on the AC adapter, will those batteries ever lose that deformation of shape if left unused for a long time, or is it a permanent disfigurement?
Don't quote me on this, but I think it'll be disfigured permenantly.

SONY is correct, and not only is it permanent, but it's also dangerous - if you find that a lithium-polymer cell has swelled or otherwise become abnormal, stop using it immediately, and find out about safe disposal facilities for these types of batteries in your area.

HF6a4 should be pretty stable regarding to charging.

I connected my Pandora to the AC for the full last week and it shut down at 100% and restarted at 90%.

No more fears here :)

That's great news. I can't wait to try out HF6

If these batteries do swell in some peoples cases due to prolonged overtime on the AC adapter, will those batteries ever lose that deformation of shape if left unused for a long time, or is it a permanent disfigurement?

this is purely speculation, but yes they should just deflate by themselves (if not too bad), best way to treat a lipo/liion is discharge to 40% and keep somewhere cool (obviously off charge) if not in use, guess that would apply here aswell

(if you really wanted you could pierce them to let the extra gases out, but this is a very bad idea and you'll most probably just set light to the house :) )

SONY is correct, and not only is it permanent, but it's also dangerous - if you find that a lithium-polymer cell has swelled or otherwise become abnormal, stop using it immediately, and find out about safe disposal facilities for these types of batteries in your area.
Oh does that mean I should return my battery then? My battery starts swelling at around 80% charge, not a huge amount but enough to cause a bit of a bend in the battery cover.

I first presumed it was because of the bad charging algorithm and was just waiting for HF6 to see if it would make a difference but if it's already been through a few swellings should I get it returned?

Oh does that mean I should return my battery then? My battery starts swelling at around 80% charge, not a huge amount but enough to cause a bit of a bend in the battery cover.
A little bit of swelling may not be something to worry about: everything expands a little when it warms up, including batteries. Some batteries are also a little thicker than others, such is the mild inconsistency that they got from the factory. If OPT were a bigger company with more money, they could afford to recycle the ones that aren't exactly perfect, but they can't, so some people get slightly thicker batteries, others get slightly thinner.

If it starts to bloat up in a dangerous way, it'll be obvious looking at it. It'll no longer be flat and battery shaped.

Sorry for reviving a dead thread.

Nothing in my manual indicated I had to do anything extra for my battery. It swelled so far, it opened the front of the case (where bottom half and front half meet), and almost pushed the battery cover off. I remember in previous threads, it was indicated the charging circuits would prevent such things.

I got rid of it because it looked like it was going to explode. This is pretty bad. I was afraid to puncture the skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back