A Paint App Port Request

bakawhite

I use the app based off of this one on my iTouch and when I found out it was an open source program I thought I'd drop you all a line for it.
the files can be found here:
http://sun.dhis.portside.net/~sakira/wiki/hiki.cgi?LinuxZaurus.PetitePeinture+en

If anybody picks up this project THANK YOU SO MUCH

I imagine a port would be quite possible from the Zaurus sources.

There's already a full build of the Gimp running on Pandora which is much more capable than PP (though its interface is far from optimised for the small screen size), so you won't be short of a decent graphics program.

I'm hoping we'll get a touchscreen driver with pen pressure detection, because that will make all the difference in the user experience for graphics apps. It won't be fantastic (when compared with, say, proper tablet input), but it doesn't have to be; even a few pressure levels are better than none.

(Edit: Looks like this is already confirmed? http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#Can_I_draw_using_the_touch_screen.3F )

Some sort of smoothing algorithm to even out the pressure levels would be even more awesome...

Gimp may actually have pressure sensitivity straight out the box. not sure.

Problem is, I really don't like to draw on gimp, I feel the interface gets in my way more than I'd like, and I never have need for any other features than the pen. PP has all of the features I like in one program and it's a small program on top of that so I won't need to wait long at all to load it.

As I recall, GIMP is devided in three windows one the workspace and 2 for tools and filters and stuff. Since we are working with linux, just make two virtual desktops and a button to quickly switch between them. so you can have a whole screen just for editiong and another one with the tools.

Is there no existing open-source (ARM) pendant to MS Paint? Not so huge like GIMP, just a simple and EASY to use "Pixeler".
I mean, there has to be more than just GIMP in the whole LINUX world or what programs are used besides GIMP to paint in Linux Environments?

I've been using KolourPaint as my MS Paint clone for Ubuntu, but that might not be a good idea for Pandora since it depends heavily on KDE libs. I haven't really had a chance to play around with mtPaint, but I know there are forks of it like rgbPaint (simpler version for the OLPC). There's another painting application called MyPaint that looks more "painterly," might be a good choice for lineart.

http://al.chemy.org/ is open source, have a wonderful UI and is perfect for doodling, AND! pandora have a mic for soundcontrol of the shapes, check it out, beta 008 right now.
One of the main apps I want for the pandora.

You can try it for mac, linux and windoze, do it to see how the UI is working. Genius for small screens like the pandora.

mindlord said:
I wouldn't complain if the Colors! DS people ported one off for the Pandora and WIZ... that would be nice.

I would like to see this too, they charge for the full iPhone version but the Pandora appstore might be enough incentive for a 'lite' free version or payed full version.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think MyPaint would be nice to have on the pandora. from the webpage:
"MyPaint is a fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters. It lets you focus on the art instead of the program. You work on your canvas with minimum distractions, bringing up the interface only when you need it."
The webpage also lists a couple of other similar apps that may be worth looking into:
"Similar projects are DrawPile, Flowpaint, Qaquarelle, Gogh, Krita, ChibiPaint. You might like easystroke for defining gestures."

dentrado said:
I think MyPaint would be nice to have on the pandora. from the webpage:
"MyPaint is a fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters. It lets you focus on the art instead of the program. You work on your canvas with minimum distractions, bringing up the interface only when you need it."
I quite like the looks of it, using it full screen will be perfect for the Pandora. It also seems like a pretty capable software, from an art perspective. It seems to be missing some things I use frequent in Photoshop, such as layer effects, but this software was never intended to do that stuff.

dentrado said:
I think MyPaint would be nice to have on the pandora.
Ooh, that looks pretty nice. Thanks for pointing it out, I'm interested to try it out on my PC too.

mindlord said:
I wouldn't complain if the Colors! DS people ported one off for the Pandora and WIZ... that would be nice.
That might happen one day if you're lucky...

I have access to the source code repository, and have it running on linux since a year or so, but i decided to wait with the rest (mainly touchscreen support and a Pandora-customized GUI) until i have my Pandora.

If or when it will be released depends on a lot of things though, such as my amount of spare time :)

teppic said:
That might happen one day if you're lucky...

I have access to the source code repository, and have it running on linux since a year or so, but i decided to wait with the rest (mainly touchscreen support and a Pandora-customized GUI) until i have my Pandora.

If or when it will be released depends on a lot of things though, such as my amount of spare time :)

I was looking for you, teppic. I had wondered what had become of that project. I do hope you can get a version running for pandora someday though.

Thanks for the link to alchemy, casper.
I've been using it now and I really like it since it's a lot like sketchbook pro, but with vector drawing. seems a little heavy for pandora use, though.

Back