A Little Guide For Prospective Buyers

I reccomend reccomending a card reader .. makes the headaches of the USB issues go away :)

This guide actually helped me a little: I was really wondering why the screen protection looked so crappy. I was hinted with my super searching skills that there was a screen in front of it, but I couldn't seem to even notice it. But then your guide told me to pick the corners, and voila!! SHINYNESS!!!!!!

screen refresh/flickering is crap

I've heard this before, but I haven't heard it lately. Is/Was this only a problem on the early models? I mean, this guide is intended for future (or very recent) buyers. I don't want to scare them with problems from past production runs.

I have only noticed flicker problems when my batteries were almost dead. Am I just lucky? Is this actually a big concern for prospective buyers?

Last edited by a moderator:
screen refresh/flickering is crap

I've heard this before, but I haven't heard it lately. Is/Was this only a problem on the early models? I mean, this guide is intended for future (or very recent) buyers. I don't want to scare them with problems from past production runs.

I have only noticed flicker problems when my batteries were almost dead. Am I just lucky? Is this actually a big concern for prospective buyers?

I've only just got my GP2X, and it has some flickering and scanlines sometimes. It's barely noticable though.

my 2x isnt a first edition, and i have no flickering or any kind of lcd problems whatsoever...my unit is virtually problem free, apart from the usual joystick which everyone has

my 2x isnt a first edition, and i have no flickering or any kind of lcd problems whatsoever...my unit is virtually problem free, apart from the usual joystick which everyone has
Ditto.

1st edition GP2x, wavy diagonal lines of doom went away with firmware 1.1.0 and no other problems at all.

I don't even mind the joystick as much as everyone else seems to. It's a little too easy to hit the diagonals (DaveC opened a joystick up and there is a genuine hardware diagonal bias) but apart from that the whole unit has a really professional feel to it.

Rechargable alkalines? Never heard of them, sounds like a con to me. I've seen some slow drip chargers that can recharge alkaline batteries, but never any alkalines designed specifically to be charged.
Here
They're apparently meant to be quite good, as their voltage is 1.5V, more than NiMH (1.2V), so they should last quite long in a GP2X.
From the link:
These batteries must be charged in a Pure Energy charger only. Look on our AC/DC Battery Charger section.
and
Note: Rechargeable alkaline batteries do not come with a mAh (milli-amp-hour) rating. They start out with about the same power as a disposable alkaline battery (approx. 2000mA). They lose some capacity after each charge and discharge cycle. The batteries last longer if you charge them often, before they are discharged completely.
Sounds like normal alkalines with a slow-drip charger to me. I really doubt that they are any good for the GP2x. Alkaline batteries start out at 1.5 volts but quickly drop to somewhere around 1 volt, which isn't enough to run the GP2x so you don't get to use much of their power.

NiMH on the other hand may be only 1.2 volt, but a good set will stay close to 1.2 for a very large percentage of their output.

NiMH for teh win.

Back