A Little Guide For Prospective Buyers

Flavor

Daddy
I decided to write a little web page to help some of the new guys out a bit.

My little guide.

Anyway, I was hoping to keep it rather simple, but yet point out the major things that people should know about the GP2X (from a prospective buyer's perspective).

Can you guys help me think of anything else that I should put in there? Do you think it's helpful?

Keep in mind that I don't want to scare anyone away from the GP2X. This is for people that think it looks cool and want to know how to get one and how to get up and running. Thus far, I don't have anything in there about setting up video, MP3s, or games. I probablly should add that in the near future.

Also, I don't want to put anything like "the joystick sucks" that might scare people away. If there is a good alternative for people, I could add that information, though. Like if GPH decides to sell a replacement joystick handle, I could link to that and recommend the purchase. Though, I don't think it's worth mentioning unless it's in the context of a recommended upgrade.

Well, you get the idea. I'd like to hear any comments on it.

What do you think were the important things to know when you first got yours?

What information did you need to know before you bought your GP2X?

What did you find out later that you wished you knew earlier?

That's the kind of stuff I want to include.

i wished i knew the joystick didnt suck.

the TV-out was the puller for me which made me get my 2x, but im still waiting for this "new" one thats supposed to be being made and then sold by GBAX

The "do not use alkalines" is in error..

A lot of us use alkaline rechargables just fine..

ie: Regular duracel alkalines I got about an hour on before they were obliterated.. but they still work in other gadgets for a bit.

ie: I picked up Energizer charger+4 rechargable alkalines for $24CDN, and they work great.. I get some 3-4 hours out of them, and they're 2500 mah.

jeff

Would you have done anything differently if people had said they didn't like it? I guess that my perspective might be a bit different than others, and that's why I'm asking this stuff here. I had heard complaints about the joystick, but they didn't concern me before I got my GP2X, and they still don't really bother me now. Though, if I hadn't known about that before I got mine, maybe I would be more dissapointed, now.

the TV-out was the puller for me which made me get my 2x, but im still waiting for this "new" one thats supposed to be being made and then sold by GBAX
What's up with the new one? I have heard that someone is developing a breakout box for the EXT port. That would be really nice. Though, I do really want to focus on what is actually available. I can always update it when things come out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great!

Maybe you should add some software stuff...
like how to install the SDL libraries (maybe with screenshots?)
or doom/quake or some emulator.

Maybe open an ebook, an mp3, a movie.

I don't know, but I think those are nice things to know for total noobs.

Oh, and info on how to format the SD card.

Reinout,

Would you have done anything differently if people had said they didn't like it? I guess that my perspective might be a bit different than others, and that's why I'm asking this stuff here. I had heard complaints about the joystick, but they didn't concern me before I got my GP2X, and they still don't really bother me now. Though, if I hadn't known about that before I got mine, maybe I would be more dissapointed, now.

What's up with the new one? I have heard that someone is developing a breakout box for the EXT port. That would be really nice. Though, I do really want to focus on what is actually available. I can always update it when things come out.

well if i had know that the joystick was crap beyond repair, and that a new gp2x might be released in the future with a changed hardware/joystick, and that i'd be stuck with this one with no chance of a replacement or fix, then i would have waited a bit for sure.

Hmmm, so do you think that I should just change it to read "Do not use non-rechargable alkaline batteries in your GP2X." or something like that?

skeezix said:
ie: Regular duracel alkalines I got about an hour on before they were obliterated.. but they still work in other gadgets for a bit.

My brand-new Energizer alkalines worked for about 30min on the GP2X, and they got pretty warm. I originally thought there was a short in the system or something. I had to do a bunch of research before I realized that rechargables were the way to go. I wanted this to be a big point for new guys because I really was concerned that my GP2X might have to be returned.

skeezix said:
ie: I picked up Energizer charger+4 rechargable alkalines for $24CDN, and they work great.. I get some 3-4 hours out of them, and they're 2500 mah.

I thought that the rechargable Energizers were NiMH. That's why I'm asking this stuff here, though. I don't want to give misleading info, and I want to figure out what else I should add.

Hmmm, so do you think that I should just change it to read "Do not use non-rechargable alkaline batteries in your GP2X." or something like that?

skeezix said:

My brand-new Energizer alkalines worked for about 30min on the GP2X, and they got pretty warm. I originally thought there was a short in the system or something. I had to do a bunch of research before I realized that rechargables were the way to go. I wanted this to be a big point for new guys because I really was concerned that my GP2X might have to be returned.

skeezix said:

I thought that the rechargable Energizers were NiMH. That's why I'm asking this stuff here, though. I don't want to give misleading info, and I want to figure out what else I should add.

I think they're rechargable alkalines, but you might well be right .. I tossed the packaging long ago. Perhaps their website will enlighten..

jeff

Actually, I was thinking more about the "Do not use alkaline batteries in your GP2X" thing.

Has anyone tried "heavy duty" batteries in the GP2X? Maybe it's more correct to say something like "Do not use regular (non-rechargable) batteries in your GP2X."

well if i had know that the joystick was crap beyond repair, and that a new gp2x might be released in the future with a changed hardware/joystick, and that i'd be stuck with this one with no chance of a replacement or fix, then i would have waited a bit for sure.
Crap beyond repair? I got one of davec's caps and now I'm loving the joystick! The biggest problem now is software, the developers have to use davec's charts to get the direction input a little more evened out.

Yeah, I'd put in DaveC's joystick cap and one or two simple joystick mods (like blu-tac or a little wad of paper).

A couple of the homebrew games (with links) that are simple to install, small and fun (like Spout) wouldn't hurt. Also you might want to include that you can use any DC adaptor that is regulated, has a voltage of 3V, an amperage of over 500mA (1000mA is recommended) a 2.5x0.49mm connector or fairly similar (I think it was that, correct me if I'm wrong), and is centre negative.

Yeah, I'd put in DaveC's joystick cap and one or two simple joystick mods (like blu-tac or a little wad of paper).
Okay, I added some stuff about the joystick.

nickspoon said:
A couple of the homebrew games (with links) that are simple to install, small and fun (like Spout) wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, I think you guys are right about this. I don't have time to add much right now, though.

nickspoon said:
Also you might want to include that for the AC adaptor you'll need a 2.5x0.49mm connector or fairly similar (I think it was that, correct me if I'm wrong), centre negative.
If someone can confirm the exact information, I'd be glad to put it up. I have heard that it's the same as the GBC/NGPC plug except the polarity is reversed. I think the GP32 had this same setup, didn't it?

I think they're rechargable alkalines, but you might well be right .. I tossed the packaging long ago. Perhaps their website will enlighten..

I have 8 of them, they're NiMH.

Rechargable alkalines? Never heard of them, sounds like a con to me. I've seen some slow drip chargers that can recharge alkaline batteries, but never any alkalines designed specifically to be charged.

I have 8 of them, they're NiMH.

Rechargable alkalines? Never heard of them, sounds like a con to me. I've seen some slow drip chargers that can recharge alkaline batteries, but never any alkalines designed specifically to be charged.
Here

They're apparently meant to be quite good, as their voltage is 1.5V, more than NiMH (1.2V), so they should last quite long in a GP2X.

I know rayovac has a "renewal" line of alkaline rechargeables, perhaps someone could test to see how well they work in the gp2x?

Honestly, can't anyone catch the drift? We want to be focusing on what is needed to quickly and easily get the GP2X up and running, not what is crap.

Back