A few OS questions.

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
1. Is there someplace I can downoad an image of the Pandora OS? I'm sending mine away for repairs soon, so I wanna run it on an emulator so I can continue development and such for it.

2. Will the same OS/processor be used on the Pyra?

3. Does anyone know if/when Pandora will be phased out?

1. Is there someplace I can downoad an image of the Pandora OS? I'm sending mine away for repairs soon, so I wanna run it on an emulator so I can continue development and such for it.
I don't have a link for you, but the OS used to be available in a lot of different formats on the official server. You'd probably rather stumble upon the specific drivers and stuff when trying to emulate it.
2. Will the same OS/processor be used on the Pyra?
The OS will probably be mostly the same, backwards-compatibility is everything but off the table. But it will definitely have a different CPU, else people would literally go on rampage mode. It will most likely be an OMAP5 SoC, all others are simply not available in lower quantities or just not guaranteed to be available long enough. It offers a lot of backwards-compatibility as well, it even still has a similar type of DSP.
3. Does anyone know if/when Pandora will be phased out?
It literally already went out of production, some parts are no longer available. If the request is large enough ED might consider investing some money to replace those components for more Pandoras, however. Still, backwards-compatibility will be kept as good as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to correct a few things Letalis Sonus wrote.. 

2.) The OS will be different, ED announced he wanted to use Debian. There may be some breakage between the Pandora and Pyra.. but there may be compatibility if the Pandora Libraries are included or something. 

3.) The Pandora hasn't been officially phased out yet.. ED hasn't announced that production ended yet.. he however announced it will be done in the near future once the parts run out as some parts are not available anymore. They should  still be available from Dragonbox and other official shops for a while.

Even if it's reported as is, i doubt there is any direct link, as open embedded seems more like a from scratch with a gentoo build system, taking good ideas from minimalistic open zaurus.

So with OMAP5 SoC, does that support current Pandora executables?

Also, now I'm wondering, when Pandora gets phased out, will we be able to trade in to get a discount on the Pyra, or do we have to buy it at full price? Cuz Nintendo had people turning in old DSs for discounts on new ones, and I'm wondering if that'll be the case here.

Also, now I'm wondering, when Pandora gets phased out, will we be able to trade in to get a discount on the Pyra, or do we have to buy it at full price? Cuz Nintendo had people turning in old DSs for discounts on new ones, and I'm wondering if that'll be the case here.
In theory. In practice there may be something like Ginge/Wine (could be tightly integrated if /really/ needed), but it would be better to break compatibility with the PND system for something better instead. It would rather be the other way around, that maybe the new format could be backported to the Pandora if well made.

Trading in should perhaps be something ED should consider. Those could then be refurbished and sent to folk still stuck on the original queue. Not an ideal solution, but perhaps some would go for it.

Even if ED does not offer this officially, selling to someone else at the right time could certainly help you cover more than might have been offered for trade-ins.

I think the biggest obstacle will be the OS architecture. Ever tried SZ executables on Pandian (Debian on armhf [hard float]) or vice versa? They do not run.

Not an impossible to breach barrier though.

EDIT: Although, more relevant to you, Midi; the Pyra will be more or less source compatible with almost anything written for the pandora, so if worst comes to worst, you should be able to just to a straight recompile to get a Pyra executable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back