A fast GP32?

Guido

Still Fresh
Got this strange thing happening with my GP, I noticed it once or twice yesterday that the intro music on boot sounded fast. things started crashing today - I've been off work and playing with the SNES emu's. Seems to be stuck in this fast "overclocked" mode, moviepark does'nt run, neither do any of the emu's. MP3's play fast as do Doom and Pinball Dreams.

Anybody any ideas?

Guido

Try GPEngine. You can change the speed settings here.
Maybe you can put it back to its original speed.

I'll give that a try, but I did try running the 132mHz version of SCumm to see if that would do it. It is pretty hot here today - possibly temp related?

Let you know,

thanks

Guido

Mine did this after switching of my GP during the game loading in the SMS emulator while playing Castle of Illusion then switching it on fast again it did somehting really messed up and my GP CPU speed & ran WAY too fast i had to switch it off and leave it off for a short period to sort it out.

If moviepark has stopped loading then there are a few posibilities. You may have filled your SMC beyond its capacity i.e put something on it when its full and sometimes it won't tell you, this often knacks up my SMC and speeds up my GP32 logo. Heat only ever gives me scan lines. If I were you I would format the SMC as you'll find the problems will proabably stay.

Tried GPengine, but it crashes on loading as well. I do'nt think it's overclocking, perhaps booting at 133MHZ? Very strange?

Will leave it overnight and see how things are in the morning.

Thanks,

Guido

Tried another SMC with only MoviePark on and same phenomena!!

Guido

Try leaving it overnight WITHOUT any batteries in it. That may help reset whatever is screwed up.

try reflashing the firmware. I had run GPEngine and turned it off once to the colors on everything being washed out. I guess I had set the brightness up in GPEngine and now it seemed to be permanently on even when not running GPEngine. I reflashed and the problem went away. Good Luck!

There is no way I would advise you to flash the firmware when your GP32 is behaving badly, you will more than likely ruin it and void your warrenty

It's getting worse now it does not boot on every attempt, though once or twice it has booted to normal!!

Think I'll do as Chip suggests and leave it with the batteries out overnight. Then take it from there tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input guys

Guido

Guido posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
Got this strange thing happening with my GP, I noticed it once or twice yesterday that the intro music on boot sounded fast. things started crashing today - I've been off work and playing with the SNES emu's. Seems to be stuck in this fast "overclocked" mode, moviepark does'nt run, neither do any of the emu's. MP3's play fast as do Doom and Pinball Dreams.

Anybody any ideas?

Guido
How fast was the snes emu?

Last edited by a moderator:
Azure posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
I hope you're not thinking of purposely breaking your GP to get the SNES emu to run faster :lol:

O.K. First couple of boots normal, then I tried SNES emu played a little Donkey Kong Country which, although I'm not familiar with SNES plays pretty well to my eyes - no sound of course. Rebooted from that and problem is back?

Off to work now. I will leave batteries out and try again this evening avoiding the SNES emu.

Guido

Chip posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
Azure posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
I hope you're not thinking of purposely breaking your GP to get the SNES emu to run faster :lol:
I'm just curious :D

Just an update - still got problems, 1st couple of boots I ended up with a corrupt screen and noise. Still boots fast,but normal boots are more frequent. I think I'll go with it for a couple of days and see how it pans out. I bought it from Craig at GBAX two months or so ago and I do'nt think I've abused it in anyway.

I was thinking of flashing the firmware, but I'm so glad I did'nt.

Cheers

Guido

Back