subin posted on Mar 1 2007 at 12:18 PM said:
Alex. posted on Mar 1 2007 at 07:06 PM said:
atomicthumbs posted on Mar 1 2007 at 12:17 PM said:
It's not an "official" version until it's released
What do you call it when it ships on every new unit? :p

- Alex

Shirley.

George Washington?

(IMO, it's not "official" until you can download it off of GPH's website and "legitamately" install it on your GP2X through the bootloader updater.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cervante posted on Mar 1 2007 at 10:10 AM said:
Erase all the pre-loaded junk

Bring back the NAND option

Wow! You just described firmware 2.1.1!

Make a new skin editor for the larger Icons

Why do we want larger icons?

Make it as fast as firmware 2.1.1 in both booting and menus. I find 2.1.1 much faster in all ways than 3.0.0 and downgrading was the best thing ive done.

Free up the NAND space by remove all the preloaded junk as previously mentioned and bring back the NAND option.

Fix video playback desync bug.

Improve SD card support, like add in support for 8GB SD cards and SDHC cards.

Make the volume limit enforce itself in games. Hate having volume limit on think im safe then get my ear drums blasted because the volume limit setting isnt enforced.

Have the screen contrast/brightness controlable via the settings menu. My screen is so damn bright ALL the time.

Have the screen time out and shutdown if the system isnt touched for about a minute, but upon any button press resume the screen, kind of like a mini screensaver. This would also save alittle battery power when transfering via USB for example if the screen would turn off when idle.

Thats all i can think of right now :p

If those things or even just a combination of those were to get into the public release of firmware 3.x.x then i would definately upgrade my system again to it. Untill then 2.1.1 will have to do :)

Got yet another one. Support automounting of ext2 formatted SD cards. I hate FAT32 its evil unstable and inefficient.

Sure it reads them but its a pain in the arse getting it to mount them right now.

It is possible to get them to automount, but as you said, it takes a bit of fiddling. There are other reasons why it may be best to use FAT rather than ext2 and the main one is permissions. You'd have to go through every binary manually setting the executable flag. I don't really see in what way FAT32 is less stable than ext2 though - neither have a journal.

Orkie posted on Mar 4 2007 at 09:19 AM said:
I don't really see in what way FAT32 is less stable than ext2 though - neither have a journal.

LMAO, i cant believe you just said that.... :lol:

FAT32 stores ALL of its tables, primary and backup in the root block. EXT2 stores multiple backups of it's superblock throughout the FS. If you'd like to remove the first 20K of a FAT file system, i'll remove the first 20K of an EXT2 file system, we'll see who can recover their data first. Journalling's got nothing to do with it ;)

Are you likely to do that though? At the end of the day, you're storing a few games, it doesn't really matter. The chances of the FAT becoming corrupted are extremely slim, the second table, even more so. The only thing that I can see much chance becoming corrupted is an individual file if you shut down whilst a write is in progress.

PS: You needn't be so patronising, I'm not the fool you seem to think I am ;)

Orkie posted on Mar 4 2007 at 12:29 PM said:
Are you likely to do that though? At the end of the day, you're storing a few games, it doesn't really matter.

Didn't you read what i posted? It was an example of why FAT is inferior as you don't seem to have any understanding the filesystems, to which your journalling comment stands testiment. ;)

The fact is people get corrupted cards all the time and lose their data if they dont have a backup of it. People dont unmount devices properly all the time and this can lead to various types and levels of corruption. Hence the example of deleting the first 20K, which easily simulates FS corruption.

With EXT2 you have an exponentially higher chance to recover from corruption of the file system because of the multiple backups of the superblock, with FAT you're basically screwed.

So it's not about are you likely to do it :rolleyes: it's a case of is it likely to happen, and the answer to that question is YES. A quick search of these forums or anywhere can show many countless posts of people with corruption to FAT file systems.

Yorper, what you say is true about the first 20K being deleted, but when is that ever going to happen? Unless some idiot decides to delete the first 20K using something like 'dd', it's not, and in that case it is very easy to recover the FAT file system, and can be done easily by people who do not know a lot about computers by simply putting it in a card reader and letting Windows handle it.

If you decide to store your life's work on an SD card, and then loose it by using that card in the gp2x, then that's your own fault. Anything else is just an inconvenience.

Yorper posted on Mar 4 2007 at 05:27 PM said:
Didn't you read what i posted? It was an example of why FAT is inferior as you don't seem to have any understanding the filesystems, to which your journalling comment stands testiment. ;)

The fact is people get corrupted cards all the time and lose their data if they dont have a backup of it. People dont unmount devices properly all the time and this can lead to various types and levels of corruption. Hence the example of deleting the first 20K, which easily simulates FS corruption.

With EXT2 you have an exponentially higher chance to recover from corruption of the file system because of the multiple backups of the superblock, with FAT you're basically screwed.

So it's not about are you likely to do it :rolleyes: it's a case of is it likely to happen, and the answer to that question is YES. A quick search of these forums or anywhere can show many countless posts of people with corruption to FAT file systems.
First, I will admit I don't know a huge amount about filesystems but I do understand how FAT filesystems work. In fact, I have a hard copy of the Microsoft FAT specification sat on my desk for if/when I ever get around to adding disk support into my OS (and I've read it several times). However, you seem to be ranting about things which don't really apply to the GP2X.

I myself have had some corruption on an SD card through the GP2X. However, this was not a corruption of the FAT itself, but a corruption of the files that were being written to. Those files were lost, but all the rest were fine. This would be the same with ext2 as FAT. Like I said before, I think it'd be fairly unlikely that the whole FAT would be destroyed because very simply, you won't be overwriting the entire thing at once.

Now if you were say adding a new file and the power were to die in the middle of that operation, a journal would help as it'd save you going through every entry and checking it is consistent with what is actually there.

Another point which you seem unaware of is the way in which the GP2X handles the SD card. The SD card is mounted with the 'sync' option which means data is written straight away - there is no cache of any kind. This means that it doesn't really matter if you don't unmount the volume cleanly, corruption can only occur if power is lost during a write (which itself is a fairly uncommon event). If the power dies during a write, then it is still unlikely the filesystem itself will be damaged.

Of course there is always a risk of corruption if you're stupid but really, the difference in the case of the GP2X between ext2 and FAT is slim. ext2 is however unsuitable for use on an SD card destined for the GP2X mostly due to the permissions issue (along with the fact that most people use Windows which doesn't have an official ext2 driver).

Again, I am not a total idiot like you have made me out to be - I've done a bit of research into what is best for the GP2X whilst working on open2x and you really don't want to be using ext2 except for specific things (such as GPE). It has its advantages and disadvantages, but for the GP2X there are more disadvantages than FAT :)

Is it mounted with sync? I thought it wasn't, but I could very easily be wrong.

EDIT: after checking, yeah it says it's mounted with sync. Heh.

It would appear a few people here can't read properly, post on subjects they have no knowledge of, backtrack and then try to make it look like the person who just re-educated them is spinning off on a rant.

Don't think i'll waste my time on this matter anymore.

Back