Sdhc Classes On The Wiz

geise69

I have a Sandisk 8gb class 2 card. I also have a 4gb non classed SDHC card. Both seem to make no difference in speed for file transferring or in emulators like GnGeo or FBA2X. I was wondering if there are hardware limitations with the transfer speed of SDHC on the Wiz. Will getting a higher class card make any difference what so ever? I know large NeoGeo games that are cached in FBA2X run really slow, even with overclocking. That is probably cause of the emulation in FBA2X, but does anyone notice a difference in speed with higher class SDHC cards? Also is there a limit to the class of the SDHC that the Wiz will recognize? If I got a new class 10 card will it even make a difference? Thanks to anyone with any input.

The USB connection is REALLY slow on Wiz and a fast SD card makes no difference to that. Games that run slow also have nothing to do with the SD speed. The only place you might notice a difference is in the time it takes to load a game.

I've noticed that playing music with sdl mixer is too slow for my game, when using a non-classed sd card. Works fine on my class 6. So i guess for some games the card can get too slow. I didn't try out different buffer sizes or anything though. Basically everything takes >minute to load, so it might be a defunct card.

I'm sure mame offloads some larger roms into a virtual memory on the SD, now that's got to cause a performance hit with a bog standard card!

Back