-

The cell radio is the PHS8-p world compatible, UMTS (3G) at 850/800, 900, 1900 and 2100 MHz, and GSM (2G) at 850/900/1800/1900 MHz. You can check the spec sheet available from that page for more information.

There is not technically any software that I'm aware of, but the chip is extremely easy to use and we've had a few proof of concept shell scripts for receiving and making phone calls. There is some open source telephony softwares that might work but need some extra code for this specific module. Being able to use it as a phone may not work immediately as soon as it starts shipping, but it won't take long before a basic interface exists. No promises on how long it will take before a "pretty" interface exists.

As a phone the pyra would be like the nokia n-gage; Big and silly!

But I guess the idea is to use a hands free unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands free my...foot.

4698a80e557be1fa89c01391891296bc.jpg

The thing I linked in some other thread to do line in over USB using a audio chip pretty similar to the one in the Pandora was a Behringer USB line-in/out thing. I'd link, but I'm on my phone.

Edit: Amazon UK link

As a phone the pyra would be like the nokia n-gage; Big and silly!

But I guess the idea is to use a hands free unit?
That's the plan, yeah, use a bluetooth handset, either in-ear hands free or a pen so you avoid that "no, I'm not talking to you" moment. Some other suggestions are mods to put a speaker on the outside of the lid. Ultimately we'll need to wait and see how the Pyra actually looks and feels before deciding what way best makes it a phone.

Oh wow, I want one of those! I can't find them anywhere though.

Also, does software exist to make physical calls on the cell network (not just VoIP/SIP)?
At first, you will likely have to use minicom and leave a terminal open to make and receive calls manually using Hayes modem commands. Later on hopefully software will be written for the phone portion.

I have one of the Samsung Bluetooth pen-sized headsets. Works fine with my Galaxy Note II as a bluetooth headset. It's like talking on the world's smallest candybar phone - Zoolander experience type. BUT it fits nicely in my shirt pocket, looks like a pen and will hopefully keep my Pyra from having to be removed to chat on the phone.

They're really not priced badly for what they are. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Bluetooth-Pocket-Talker-HM5000/dp/B0057WX864

Cool, thanks.

You mention talking on it being a Zoolander type experience, which can be good and bad (I wish they would go back to making things smaller, but everyone wants a nice big display...you are supposed to use it to speak to people that are somewhere else, not watch Netflix).  Do you feel the dimensions are adequate?  Is it somewhat durable?

Cool, thanks.

You mention talking on it being a Zoolander type experience, which can be good and bad (I wish they would go back to making things smaller, but everyone wants a nice big display...you are supposed to use it to speak to people that are somewhere else, not watch Netflix).  Do you feel the dimensions are adequate?  Is it somewhat durable?
Dimensions take a bit of getting used to. Take two #2 pencils, chop them off at 6" long, wrap a rubber band around them tightly, add a shirt clip from a click pencil. Pretend you're talking on it. It feels weird to hold something that small up to your ear, but is very effective. With a dress shirt I can sort-of hands free with it by clipping it to the collar. Good for sitting listening on conference calls when speakerphone isn't appropriate. Sound quality is quite good. Durability is fine for what it is. It isn't a hammer, pry bar, bottle opener or drink stirrer.

It scores 10 points for being a unique product.

Oh, and it charges off of a microUSB port on the 'top' of the pen. So it could use the same charger as or even daisy chain charge off of the Pyra. I've daisy chain charged older phones on the Pandora - the newer ones need more juice than that though.

I still remember people using Nokia 8310s back in the day. If you held the phone to your ear the mouthpiece didn't even reach the corner of your mouth, yet call quality was perfectly acceptable apparently.

^ I use one of a similar design when I must be reachable.

What search terms should I use for things like the LG HBM-700, Samsung HM5000 and Sony SBH52?  

If I am going to use something like this with the Pyra I will probably want at least a caller ID display, and possibly vibration.  Since the Pyra will be able to vibrate that is less important.  If I can't find something decent I will just go with a typical "headset" with a display, and be one of THOSE people, as I can't think of a practical way to keep everything small and simple and still be able to screen calls.

What search terms should I use for things like the LG HBM-700, Samsung HM5000 and Sony SBH52?  

If I am going to use something like this with the Pyra I will probably want at least a caller ID display, and possibly vibration.  Since the Pyra will be able to vibrate that is less important.  If I can't find something decent I will just go with a typical "headset" with a display, and be one of THOSE people, as I can't think of a practical way to keep everything small and simple and still be able to screen calls.
So you might be more interested in something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SBH52-NFC-A2DP-Stereo-Bluetooth-Headset-FM-Caller-Display-Mini-Handset-/141071789030

I'm not sure, but I'm betting that you'll need some software to make something like that work with a Debian (not Android) phone.

So you might be more interested in something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-SBH52-NFC-A2DP-Stereo-Bluetooth-Headset-FM-Caller-Display-Mini-Handset-/141071789030

I'm not sure, but I'm betting that you'll need some software to make something like that work with a Debian (not Android) phone.
Yes, that would be nice, and is the reason I listed it (as seen in your quote of me).  The thing I don't like is that price.  Since I can get the HM5000 for a much lower price I may get one and just pretend it is a return to the pre-caller ID times, or pull the Pyra out.

Can you get it to "speak" who is calling (like some headsets, I guess)?  Why would the Sony one need software while the Samsung one wouldn't?  The way I am planning to use it I thought they would be nearly the same, except for the display function.  Currently I don't care about anything they do that is not related to making and receiving calls as a handset.

Ok, I figured that it would be part of the software used for call handling, and would transmit the display information via bluetooth.  Thanks.

It could be. But right now minicom is the only confirmed way to access the telephony chip.

Back