sgx-for-v6.9 in the Linux kernel logs

There was a lot talk about PowerVR providing open-source drivers which were finally introduced in the 6.8 kernel. Maybe it's correlated to that?

There was a lot talk about PowerVR providing open-source drivers which were finally introduced in the 6.8 kernel. Maybe it's correlated to that?
But I think those drivers were for newer PowerVR GPUs, not the one in the Pyra, right?

But I think those drivers were for newer PowerVR GPUs, not the one in the Pyra, right?
That is correct. So whatever is happening, it may not affect the current Pyra.
But they deleted the closed source comment and added
compatible = "ti,omap5432-gpu", "img,powervr-sgx544";
Very strange, so the question still is: what could this mean?

Last edited:
That is correct. So whatever is happening, it may not affect the current Pyra.
But they deleted the closed source comment and added
compatible = "ti,omap5432-gpu", "img,powervr-sgx544";
Very strange, so the question still is: what could this mean?
A first step was that Linus has integrated a driver for the pvrsgx6 and later developed by Imagination with v6.8-rc1.
OMAP includes the pvrsgx5 series GPUs which is not covered by that driver at all.
The second step is that TI has recently suggested to finally add badic sgx5 device tree support (no driver).
This is not exactly the same as we have in "our" definition (mantainers rejected my attempt to get that upstream 2 years ago).
But it just needs a small change in driver code to use their definition. This is all already in the letux-6.8-rc tree.
Anyways, PyraOS uses a much older kernel (I think v5.6?) which is not affected at all.
And I have heard rumors that the driver isn't working with v5.10 kernels and later.
But I have no details and myself not a working reference setup of the user-space.
I.e. no method to test what works and what does not and look for potential reasons.

Back