5" screen (on a P2)

Exo, do you think Apple phones, whether or not they do a 5" screen, will remain at 960*640 forever?

I do not think they'll do 1920x1280 phones in the next 3-4 years. Beyond that is too far away for me to speculate, the technology could be majorly disrupted. But I don't consider it an inevitability that I'll see an iPhone that resembles the current ones but at 1920x1280. It could happen but I have no reason right now to believe it definitely will.

I'd sooner see them increase the resolution by some non-integer amount but that is of course a compromise for them. I consider them staying at 960x640 the most likely outcome for at least the next 2 years, probably more.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol just looked at the note2... all I gotta say... they made it BIGGER!?!?

lol... but I mean... that's pretty neat technology though

Just to grave dig this a bit, Galaxy Note2 screen confirmed at 1680x1050.
Whoa, heavy. ^^"

Imagine a website or a game/app, whatever, with Textfont size 8 or so on a 5" screen with 1680x1050 res. Eagle Eye test for sure. :D I really hope there are enough zoom functions built in.

Whoa, heavy. ^^"

Imagine a website or a game/app, whatever, with Textfont size 8 or so on a 5" screen with 1680x1050 res. Eagle Eye test for sure. :D I really hope there are enough zoom functions built in.

Like always i would stretch the F out of it!!

Black bars yuck :p

Bought a Snes, and am patiently waiting until ED sends me a SD2Snes, so i can experience snes games in their full origin.

Need to get a tube screen to make it perfect.

Did you ever consider just

-buying those (or a similar overpowered phone) in lots - maybe the Mfg would sell them to you cheaper in 'tablet version' without the phone chips?

-crack the back off of phones

-connect into the USB port - running this through a hinge

-mount the phone as the screen in a clam shell with the USB cable running through the hinge

-put a USB hub, keyboard, game controls, SD slots and a big battery in the bottom 1/2 of the device

Done.

Yes, we have considered harvesting other tech which is sold at a loss, however we want the absolute best in the P2.

Also it would severally limit the design if we harvested.

The P2 will be the best ever handheld computer, it's all or nothing for us.

How is it that you guys think that phones and tablets are being sold at a loss? These aren't consoles; there's no big game revenue or subscription income. Google Play probably brings in comparably little, especially when you consider how much of the money is made on ads instead of sales. Every third party cost breakdown estimation puts these things at above cost.

I don't think phones are sold at a loss? I don't think anyone specifically said phones?

Some ARM tech is sold at a loss though, but I doubt they would allow us to exploit it.

Unless the OUYA happens ;)

Fine, then give me a source that confirms that any tablet is being sold at a loss. OUYA is also clearly not intended to be sold at a loss, and I'm guessing they don't have this secret cache of money so if it comes out at all it can be assumed that it was paid for by the money they raised.

The only claim for an ARM device I've seen is 3DS which I find rather dubious, at the very least probably not referring to the raw cost of the unit but R&D or something.

The PSP phone? It went from £400 to £99 in the UK in a matter of months.

The tech in it was worth WAY more than £99 (at the time).

This coming right after your "I don't think phones are sold at a loss?" Show me a device that isn't being dumped with a massive price drop just to move units because it was a total failure. ie, one that was intended to be sold at a loss. Somehow I don't think it was Xperia Play you were referring to in your original post.

This coming right after your "I don't think phones are sold at a loss?" Show me a device that isn't being dumped with a massive price drop just to move units because it was a total failure. ie, one that was intended to be sold at a loss. Somehow I don't think it was Xperia Play you were referring to in your original post.

You asked for an example, I just gave you the very one I was thinking about.

And it was a games console as well as a phone and you know it.

If this had been the other way round your autistic pedant nature would have been telling me it was not ONLY a phone.

I don't take this seriously enough to engage in arguments with you to any extent.

You really need something major to happen in your life in order for you to realise that this is a forum about a handheld computer

and that there really is a lot more to love, life and happiness.

Nice job Craig, you're full of shit like usual so here comes the personal insults, dripping with hypocrisy about how I'm taking these forums too seriously and need to chill out. But you've reached a new height with "autistic pedant nature." Truly you've outdone yourself.

You're right about one thing though - there are much better things in life than this shitty forum, reduced to little more than pandering to your grade A garbage. I understand too well why Prometheus left (and why others have a little more silently, and why notaz looks like he might be joining them) and I'm sure eventually you'll get your wish and I'll be too fed up to bother with this nonsense. But for now you get to put up with me, and your little pleas for me to go out and find myself probably aren't going to change that.

Oh god, seems like there will be some more ragequits soon. Don't get too personal, please.

Since we're already off-topic I will say active users often don't take forums seriously enough (not just here but lots of sites), which basically makes a lot of the discussion a waste of time since it's just primate politics and banter.

I guess I prefer correct information, accurate and fair analyses, and *progress*.

Anyway, 5" screen of pure awesomeness will be in the P2. ^u^

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not going after anyone in this thread, simply commenting on the topic of taking forums too seriously in general.

Back