5" screen (on a P2)

Through the last 10 years:

The screens on mobile devices have gotten higher pixel density AND more efficient.

Video chip sets for mobile devices have gotten more powerful AND use less power.

'Full HD' (720P) and '1080p' aren't really all that far out if you think about it.

1997 160x160 monochrome Palm Pilot

2003 480x320 16bit color Tapwave Zodiac

2007 iPhone 1-3 320x480

2010 iPhone 4 640x960

2010 800x480 OpenPandora Pandora

2012 720x1280 Samsung Galaxy S III

201207 iPhone 5 rumored to be coming with 640x1136 resolution

201207 Galaxy Note II rumored to be coming with 720x1280 resolution

201401 1920x1080 24bit OpenPandora Pandora Two <- fits in pretty nicely with the timeline.

Are we sure the p2 will be completely clamshell per se.Was it said somewhere maybe.?I mean will the keyboard be like p1 or will it be slide out or a laser keyboard thingy.

2007 iPhone 1-3 320x480

2010 iPhone 4 640x960

201401 1920x1080 24bit OpenPandora Pandora Two <- fits in pretty nicely with the timeline.

Doesn't look like we're going to make much progress in the next 200000 years. :(

;)

Are we sure the p2 will be completely clamshell per se.Was it said somewhere maybe.?I mean will the keyboard be like p1 or will it be slide out or a laser keyboard thingy.

It's a clamshell. But we have thought about using the touch screen with your fingers too.

Through the last 10 years:

The screens on mobile devices have gotten higher pixel density AND more efficient.

Video chip sets for mobile devices have gotten more powerful AND use less power.

'Full HD' (720P) and '1080p' aren't really all that far out if you think about it.

2007 iPhone 1-3 320x480

2010 iPhone 4 640x960

Very true, but I doubt we will be first to market with a HD screen, I'd expect Samsung or Apple to win that race, especially if these Note sized screens become the norm.

At the HD point I doubt the screens will go any higher in resolution than that, you will probably just see the quality/thickness improve instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, and you will get stuttering motion for most of your games running in TrueHD. Or you will have to limit the amount of details to get something smooth running full screen.

Even PCs graphic cards could not handle full true HD resolution with full details until not too long ago ! We are no where near PC performance on the mobile market.

If you have to choose between:

- resolution

- smoothness of what moves of screen

smoothness trumps resolution every time. That's why a 320*240 movie at 30 fps still looks "OK" in motion on a TV screen, while a 640"480 video with flickering/or low fps would just look worse to the eye anyway. Your eye picks this kind of details very easily.

Ok, so there will be no downwards compatibility?

I cannot use all the apps, that are running on the Pandora-Angström out of the box on the Pandora2?

Sounds like Caanoo/Wiz-Problems to me, which killed the thing, by the way.

I cannot use all the apps, that are running on the Pandora-Angström out of the box on the Pandora2?

I have no idea if they even planned BC yet, but you could always run Android on the P1, and install P2 software.

Why do you think you could not? I cannot see any serious reason why that would not be possible.

Why do you think you could not? I cannot see any serious reason why that would not be possible.

Maybe hes scares Android will not support PND's.

The caanoo wasnt a hardware upgrade, just some different hardware that made it incompatible. I think thats why it failed, if you had a wiz there was no need for a caanoo for most (especially app developers)

There are bound to be things that will need recompiled for sure, hell i mean upgrading to superzaxon broke *some* apps and that was the same device and mainly the same os

Android has a bunch of out of the box software that can be used i think until all the app developers get to fixing/recompileing the current catalog.<br /><br />Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

I guess noone cares too much if you can easily replace Android with a normal Linux, so no need to argue on that topic I'd say.

I don't agree with this mentality. It's not enough that you'll be able to run alternative OSes. Developers have to be supporting those OSes with their software. I hope it'll come in a dual boot format with both loaded onto the unit out of the box, or even better, the ability to switch between them as they run, both running on the same kernel..
Seconded.

I do hope Craigix fully appreciates that a large part of the draw of the Pandora is that it's a handheld computer that's running a real OS, unlike Android which commits numerous sins including heavy use of *spit* Java.

I do hope Craigix fully appreciates that a large part of the draw of the Pandora is that it's a handheld computer that's running a real OS
Me too. Without the open/Linux aspect P2 will disappear into the sea of cheap Chinese junk

Then sink a bit more because of its price tag

My main goal is to continue improving our current OS and base the Pandora 2 OS on it.

While it might not be 100% compatible with all apps (something like that is not possible!), it should be 98% compatible.

Having received my Nexus 7 two days ago which features a 7" 1280x800 screen I can say that this is easily enough.

I suggest using 1280x800 on 5" on Pandora 2.

Any higher resolution would'nt make sense, as your eye can't see the difference and it uses more power and CPU power.

FullHD on 5" seems to be the most useless thing I've ever heard of, and I'm shortsighted, so I can see better than most on small screens...

My main goal is to continue improving our current OS and base the Pandora 2 OS on it.

While it might not be 100% compatible with all apps (something like that is not possible!), it should be 98% compatible.

Having received my Nexus 7 two days ago which features a 7" 1280x800 screen I can say that this is easily enough.

I suggest using 1280x800 on 5" on Pandora 2.

Any higher resolution would'nt make sense, as your eye can't see the difference and it uses more power and CPU power.

FullHD on 5" seems to be the most useless thing I've ever heard of, and I'm shortsighted, so I can see better than most on small screens...

Personally i agree with this, and an even higher resolution will most likely just make the low resolution stuff (old games) look blurrier due to upscaling.

Limiting the amount of pixels will be better for old games.

I really hope the trend of adding more pixels to small screens will come to an halt soon, i rather see screen makers focus on increasing the quality of screens, and finding better ways of hardware upscaling for older software.

Hopefully they will invent screens that have pixels that can morph into larger or smaller pixels, to mimic screens of older devices, that would be neat.

I really hope the trend of adding more pixels to small screens will come to an halt soon, i rather see screen makers focus on increasing the quality of screens, and finding better ways of hardware upscaling for older software.

Hopefully they will invent screens that have pixels that can morph into larger or smaller pixels, to mimic screens of older devices, that would be neat.

Hopefully they'll also work on better daylight visibility as well.

Hopefully they'll also work on better daylight visibility as well.

True, that got my vote as well, whats the point of having a billion pixels if you can only see 10 of them troughout most of the day.

As long as the resolution of the old game can be scaled with an integer value, you won't have blurry pixels.

That only happens when you need to scale non-integer values.

So 320x200 would look perfectly fine on 1280x800 as well as on 1920x1200 (though on 1920x1080 you would lose 80 Pixel).

But you would'nt gain anything using a density the eye can't even see, thoug you would lose CPU and battery power.

So I think 1280x800 is perfect, it shouldn't be higher.

Back