4gb Sd Cards

migEL

Still Fresh
has anyone gotten a 4gb card to work? do u think a firmware update could get them to work? or R we stuck with 2gb'z on this device?

Any card over 1GB (which is actually 1024MB, but anyway) is not supported, but will be sometime soon. And craigix, you should be shipping units!

nickspoon posted on Dec 10 2005 at 01:54 PM said:
Any card over 1GB (which is actually 1024MB, but anyway) is not supported, but will be sometime soon. And craigix, you should be shipping units!

If you want to get technical, I see 971 megs available on my sd cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, the available space is smaller, but that's due to partitioning, formatting and other stuff. The actual space is larger, because it's always a power of 2.

It always should be a power of two. Somehow it's often cheaper for them to give you decimal bytes, such that 1GB = 1000MB. Really no idea how that works, though.

Most storage manufacturers (hard drives, etc) define their capacities as powers of 10. It's just a marketing trick to let them claim a big number while actually offering a bit less.

I bet most "1GB" cards are really a million KB, or a billion bytes or something.

Of course, they are technically correct in using this scheme, as K, M, G are standard prefixes which indeed represent powers of 10. Eg, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte
1,000,000,000 bytes or 10^9 bytes is the decimal definition used in telecommunications (such as network speeds) and some computer storage manufacturers (such as hard disks and flash drives). This usage is compatible with SI.

This is a long standing ambiguity.. IEC is in fact trying to convince people to use terms like "gibibyte" (GiB) to distinguish between them, but I've yet to see anyone actually doing that.

Back