3G/umts Usb Dongle

synkro

0xdeadbeef
Website
Visit site
I dunno how the driver support on Linux is for those. Anyone has one and is using it with Linux or even Pandora or beagle board?

Pandora-wise, the current answer to this is on the Pandora Wiki. ;) Currently, two 3G sticks have been tested, the Huawei E160 and E220. They both work, though the E220 needs to be connected via a USB hub, rather than directly to the USB 2.0 port. They were tested by DJWillis, if memory serves.

Huawei E156G is supported too (it's a kernel driver, ie included in the kernel compile by default), there are others, but those three work fine under Linux, easier than they do under Windows tbh (ie: no clunky custom application required to use em)

To use the device directly in the Pandoras USB port, the dongle has to be Hugh speed certified. Otherwise as prometius said - use a USB hub.

I don't know anything about it on Pandora, but I know linux support isn't half bad. When I was visiting India I popped a USB Tata Indicom Plug2Surf USB EDGE dongle into my laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 and it worked instantly.

any one tested any ZTE ones?, cuz here around they are going off with some nice offers on ZTE models

here http://www.comcel.com/Secciones/controles.aspx?idNoticia=1948&idSeccion=509&menu=502&ult=0
these are avaiable but the ZTE is the cheapes one avaiable even on prepaid accounts.

I have an huawei E1692 that works under (x86) linux with no additional driver, but requires usb_modeswitch: i believe someone said that it won't be available under pandora, but I've noticed a recipe for it in the angstrom repositories: any news on the subject?

I'm also using it with wvdial, which AFAIK isn't currently available for anything outside x86, but I've already started to try and configure it directly with pppd.

As soon as I have a pandora I'm going to test it and post the result on the wiki, of course.

BTW, I also have an ethernet stick tested to work on a beagleboard: should I add it to the wiki, or should I wait until I've tested it on pandora?

ah thanks guys! So the problem ist to find out what hardware one has. I guess they make up their own names and never state the hardwaware on the package. I wonder if it would be possible to mod one of those inside the pandora itself...

synkro said:
ah thanks guys! So the problem ist to find out what hardware one has. I guess they make up their own names and never state the hardwaware on the package. I wonder if it would be possible to mod one of those inside the pandora itself...
The Pandora is packed to the gills. There's no room for anything else inside the case.
In theory you could pull stuff out to make room. The stylus slot takes up a fair bit of space, if you don't mind carrying it around separately or using your finger all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back