3G Internet tethering over bluetooth with iphone?

timothee

Website
Visit site
Hi there,

Has any one managed to get tethering working over bluetooth with an iphone 3GS IOS4?

My 2 devices can find each other, and I can get through the pairing step with code confirmation. But After that, nada :( .

The devices are constantly marked "disconnected", and even though I see the iphone PAN source in the network manager on the pandora, but it never works when I select it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim.

never mind, it works once i initiate the connection from the iphone. this reply is written from my pandora with bluetooth tethering to my iphone. i love this :)

Timothee,

If you don't mind me asking, are you paying O2 for tethering or using the hack? Reading your thread made me wonder how much O2 charge for tethering, but when googling, read about the hack and wondered if its still working.

I would be keen to be able to tether, but rarely use my Pandora outside the home, so seems nuts to pay for tethering - and my usage of data on my iphone is generally very low, so suspect I'd happily slip below the radar...

Hey there!

I haven't done any research on this, but as far as I see it, tethering is just a technical solution to share an Internet data plan between several devices. I don't see why you would have to pay anything for that.

And true enough, for me in Singapore (operator is Singtel), it's always just worked. I pay for my data plan, and tethering macbook->iphone has always worked. Now I'm happy it works with the pandora as well.

Tim.

Seriously? Wow, what a bunch of bloody bastards!

So they basically sold a crippled device then, and are now taking ransom to un-cripple it temporarily. It's organized mafia!

Seriously? Wow, what a bunch of bloody bastards!

So they basically sold a crippled device then, and are now taking ransom to un-cripple it temporarily. It's organized mafia!

It's not just Apple that does this, It could just be Verizon who is my provider, But I had a Windows Mobile 6 smart phone and currently have an Android smart phone. On both of these devices Verizon disabled or removed the internet sharing software, They offered for extra money to enable it.. Luckily since Both Windows Mobile and Android are not as restricted as the Apple's iPhone and I could just install 3rd party software to enable tethering for free.

Edit: what bugs me most about my old windows mobile phone was the tethering software was a part of the default OS, Verizon hacked it out of their version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back