3ds Battery life...

Damned shame. I thought my DSi's battery life (2nd highest brightness out of 5) sucked.

hmm strange nintendo always had good battery life in their handhelds.3 and a half hours is very short.Will probably still get one at some point.

The battery life that's been quoted is identical to what's quoted for the DSi on its highest brightness setting, with volume on full, and wireless active.

You'll note that I say "quoted"; What I get out of my DSi on those settings is at least double what's quoted. There is a chance of the life being understated here.

hmm strange nintendo always had good battery life in their handhelds.3 and a half hours is very short.Will probably still get one at some point.

"3-5" is not 3, it's not 3.5, it's "3 to 5."

Like many I too imagine that this is going to be something of a worst case that you won't see when using a more moderate brightness level with wifi off. But if it does turn out to be typical then all I can really say is that Nintendo pushed their luck too far cheaping out immensely on the battery.

I'm with Exophase and others, hoping that this is just some news that outlines the 3DS under heavy load. If true, that's not bad. It would mean about 8-12 hours for average to conservative use. I'm keeping a cynical eye on it for now (despite being a big Ninty fan) until I see some more objective and honest reviewing of the system.

Luckyfull i have a Pandora until the 3DS arives, so i can extend the Batterylive on the Road if i play whit the Pandora when the Batterie of the 3DS is Empty..., but i hope also that the Batterie Live from the 3DS is a bit better than the anounced batterielive Nintendo dit..

Maybe just a bit 3D reduzed screen Brightnes, and Wifi (and Streetpass) of, should work....

I want to buy the 3DS, because his Games, likely in Blue, but the Batterylive makes me a bit worry..

If the battery life is 3-5 hours then that is shockingly poor.

But it might open a very large window of opportunity for a company that has past experience of producing high capacity batteries & plastic moulding.

Hmmm, who could I be thinking of?

Nintendo: Multi Billion Yen Company whit a lot of Enginers = a 3D Handheld whit only 3-5 Hours Battery live time, development Time: 3 Yeahrs

Openpandora: Litle Companie whit only 1 Hardware Enginer, and one Case Designer and only 1 Million: a Homebrewhandheld whit 10 - 14 Hours Batterielive development Time: Less than 3 Yeahrs..

Nintendo Openpandora 0:1 in Batterie Live.. :unsure:

I want a 3DS but the Batterielive isnt good..

If the battery life is 3-5 hours then that is shockingly poor.

But it might open a very large window of opportunity for a company that has past experience of producing high capacity batteries & plastic moulding.

Hmmm, who could I be thinking of?
somewhere in this, i hear a request for OPT to produce a li-po battery for the 3ds....

Nintendo: Multi Billion Yen Company whit a lot of Enginers = a 3D Handheld whit only 3-5 Hours Battery live time, development Time: 3 Yeahrs

Openpandora: Litle Companie whit only 1 Hardware Enginer, and one Case Designer and only 1 Million: a Homebrewhandheld whit 10 - 14 Hours Batterielive development Time: Less than 3 Yeahrs..

Nintendo Openpandora 0:1 in Batterie Live.. :unsure:

I want a 3DS but the Batterielive isnt good..

Pandora: using an expensive, relatively huge battery

3DS: using a small, most likely highly inexpensive battery

It isn't a matter of engineering. I doubt the problem is Nintendo choosing particularly inefficient components or board design. Nintendo has been pushing battery capacity as low as they can get away with since the DSi.

Hey guys, you do remember that OPT doesn't design batteries right? If the battery life sucks I'm sure there will be all sorts of third party solutions that are simply higher density, and I doubt OP would be able to compete.

Pandora: using an expensive, relatively huge battery

3DS: using a small, most likely highly inexpensive battery

It isn't a matter of engineering. I doubt the problem is Nintendo choosing particularly inefficient components or board design. Nintendo has been pushing battery capacity as low as they can get away with since the DSi.

Hey guys, you do remember that OPT doesn't design batteries right? If the battery life sucks I'm sure there will be all sorts of third party solutions that are simply higher density, and I doubt OP would be able to compete.
confirmed: pandoras battery will fit in a 3DS

That's the same statement that this thread is about. Once again, they quote the same for the DSi, but in real life the DSi gets roughly double that. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's worth quoting this, from here;

“Additionally we want to ensure the best possible gaming experience for our users and there is the possibility that Nintendo 3DS software sold in one region will not function properly when running on Nintendo 3DS hardware sold in another.”

Nintendo says “guidance” will be published on packaging for 3DS hardware and software to warn potential customers.

“Guidance will appear on every packaging of Nintendo 3DS hardware and the accompanying software. If you are in doubt, Nintendo recommends that you only purchase Nintendo 3DS software in the region where purchased your Nintendo 3DS system.”

region locking will be the cause for piracy on the 3ds, removing otheros did it for ps3, this will be the reason for hacking on nds

Back