3d Toolkits

plupp

Still Fresh
I have not been able to find which 3d toolkits people are planning to port.

I often use the GLUT when I make small evaluation applications. GLUT is a toolkit for windowing and keyboard input, it is available on most platforms and is very easy to work with when it comes to creating simple OpenGL applications.

DevIL is another toolkit that I feel that we need a port of so anyone interested in 3d can easily load data from jpeg files.

Does anyone else know about this, which toolkits are in existence already or in the pipline for the release of the pandora?

You'll find most people around here use SDL for windowing and input. Ryleh has also stated that he's developed something similar to Minilib (direct hardware implementation) which he aims to get working on Wiz and Pandora.

GLUT has already been ported to GLES, Maemo based Nokia Tablets: http://unrealvoodoo.org/hiteck/blog/graphi...l-es-for-maemo/

DevIL was ported to GLES when they ported OGRE. I'm not even sure if a "port" is necessary, I wouldn't be surprised if it only uses GLES functionality. A more heavy weight solution would be PVRTexLib.

That last link, was a very helpful link!

There seems to be an ES version of GLUT that has been ported to Linux called GLUTES or GLUT|ES which seems to do very good things.

SDL is often better for framebuffer stuff, for 3D stuff, something like GLUT is a very good thing to have.

And... since there exists a Maemo/Linux port hopefully it will not be too difficult to port to the pandora.

I plan to port glfw (link), which is a nice lightweight OpenGL framework that handles window creation, input, and can load tga files. Not as feature rich as SDL, but much less bloated as a result.

Yes, we already have a working ogl-es 1.x in the pipeline, the first Irrlicht based games are available on the iPhone shop. The ogl-es 2.x version is not fully functional, yet, due to many other things which took their demand.
I hope to get the first public code snippets for the ogl-es 1.x driver out soon, and once we have merged all iPhone specific stuff into that version we'll go on to finalize the 2.x driver.

I've spent a great deal of time trying out various libraries and middleware solutions for 3d engine development in C++ on the PC, and I must say that hands down, OpenSceneGraph is the best solution for a core 3d engine. It's comparable to Ogre3D, yet much cleaner to use, and has a ton more features. Don't worry about the crappy example pictures on the site either, for Diosoft's Pirate's of the XXI Century was built upon OSG.

It also ties in nicely with SDL. Furthermore, there are both arm and x86 binaries of OSG available from debian repositories, so any games you make with an OSG/SDL can be cross-platform between the PC and Pandora.

Don't bother with GLUT; it's incredibly defunct, and has little use beyond simple demos for testing code.

Pirates of the XXI Century Gameplay

OpenSceneGraph Home

SDL Home

Good luck~

Last edited by a moderator:
sinoth said:
I plan to port glfw (link), which is a nice lightweight OpenGL framework that handles window creation, input, and can load tga files. Not as feature rich as SDL, but much less bloated as a result.

Thanks, that's my favourite OpenGL toolkit.

dockthepod said:
OpenSceneGraph looks cool but as far as I can tell there is no OpenGL ES version.

That is a pretty big problem I've been running into lately with respect to libraries. For example, most OpenGL Freetype2 font rendering libraries I've found use either display lists or immediate mode, both of which we do not have in OpenGL ES. Better start rolling our own now :blink:

Back