3d Viewer And Teddy

henrikz

Still Fresh
Dear fellow pandas,

reading another thread here on the forum I noticed a neat, practical "3d" sketch application called Teddy. Having an interest in 3D stuff and geometry I found this to be a perfect first application for me to port to the pandora.

The first step in this process however would be implementing (porting from OpenGL/Qt) a basic 3D viewer with virtual trackball navigation, mesh loading and basic picking support.
My idea is that such a basic viewer might come in handy for ppl wanting to implement 3d applications/games without having to (re)-implement the viewing functionality each time.

After this I recon it would be more or less straight forward (although time-consuming) to implement, and possibly improve, Teddy, to handle more general editing operations and shapes, approaching CAD functionality. So that one could, e.g., sketch simple 3d ideas and ssuch while underway.

Guess I will try porting the 3d Viewer to SDL after christmas sometime. SDL is the appropriate choice for the pandora I take it?

Would be interesting to hear some feedback regarding this venture and possible to hear from other developers with similar interest so we can waste what little free time we have to get this working together :)

Peace,
henrikz

henrikz said:
reading another thread here on the forum I noticed a neat, practical "3d" sketch application called Teddy. Having an interest in 3D stuff and geometry I found this to be a perfect first application for me to port to the pandora.

Why would you want to port it? Teddy is written in Java, just run it under the web browser?

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
Why would you want to port it? Teddy is written in Java, just run it under the web browser?
For one, I though it woulds be a good idea in order for me to get started with developing for openpandora.
Teddy is really neat, but I has some flaws, I would like it to be more general, more stable and have more functions.
Perhaps I should have distanced myself more from the original Teddy application, to be more specific (or general) I would like to implement some kind of 3d sketching tool, and I think re-implementing teddy could be a good place to start/a good foundation for further development.
Also I wasn't sure if one can use OpenGLES under java, so I figured c++ would be the better choice,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see an app like that! I tried Teddy and it's great fun to play around. SmoothTeddy looks even better, but unfortunately seems to be Windows-only, so I couldn't test it right now.

Good luck with your project, I really hope you can pull it off!

Back