2Nd Batch Upgrades?

WhiteBat said:
CandidStan said:
and possible SDXC support?
the pandora will already be SDXC compatible with a firmware upgrade, but may not have SDXC speeds.

Perhaps it will be able to access the cards at a hardware level, but it seems like it will be a long time before Linux will support actually using the cards. (Of course you could reformat a card to a different file system, but then the card will not be usable in anything that's not a full computer like the Pandora is)

Last edited by a moderator:
el_pocko said:
Not that it matters much - but no, I didn't. Please read the thread again.

Creature XL called me not too bright for ridiculing the obviously flawed "patience" argument.
I actually consider it a more intelligent move to not invest in such a risky endeavor, but instead wait longer until the product is finished and debugged before I buy.

I chose to not take the risk and wait a while longer for my device. Which not only makes me smarter, but more patient as well.
He said you were "stupid" in thinking you were more patient.
You fired back saying he was stupid for spending money on an as yet non-existent product, which in no way counters the original statement.
You originally claimed you were more patient (and therefore more deserving of some kind of reward), a claim which was questioned and refuted several times after you made it. Instead of trying to one up everyone, you should have just rephrased what you had said the first time.

(naw)mcx said:
If the 2nd batch is faster, I'll fucking lose it with this malarkey.

Same with the 3rd or 4th, or whatever.

I've had my money in since day 2, or so. I helped make this happen. It would not be fair to give the newcomers more power, more RAM, that's how I see it.
i wonder if people felt this way with the PSP when the slim and lite came out

lighter, thiner, more ram... same price

jb0yx said:
(naw)mcx said:

I've had my money in since day 2, or so. I helped make this happen. It would not be fair to give the newcomers more power, more RAM, that's how I see it.

yeah, but did they have to fund it, wait in a never ending loop of two months.

god damn.

i want this thing soon.

I felt that way with the GameBoy Advance.

"Hey, here's a system.. Wait, but all your friends are going to take longer and they'll have backlights and clamshells."

And then again with the Nintendo DS.

"Hey, here's a system... Wait, but there's no games yet, and everybody else will have the smaller version, or the version with an actual web browser, or the version with two cameras."

With the PS3, I've actually lost features by waiting:

"Hey, here's our system... On second thought, let's not support Linux, and we'll get rid of the PS2 chips as well. Now it's slimmer!"

... So I'm probably just not going to buy any more game consoles, ever. The Pandora is actually a UMPC, not a console.

(naw)mcx said:

If someone from the Pandora Defense Squad said this, you know shit just got real.

WizardStan said:
You originally claimed you were more patient (and therefore more deserving of some kind of reward)
Yes, that last part was the sarcasm bit.

You fired back saying he was stupid for spending money on an as yet non-existent product, which in no way counters the original statement
The original statement was stupid to begin with. They're saying that you guys are more patient than I am, because you paid money to get your Pandora earlier - and that's a sign of patience?!?
I'm fine if you guys get rewarded for taking the risk, but the patience argument is obviously just plain stupid.

el_pocko said:
The original statement was stupid to begin with. They're saying that you guys are more patient than I am, because you paid money to get your Pandora earlier - and that's a sign of patience?!?
I'm fine if you guys get rewarded for taking the risk, but the patience argument is obviously just plain stupid.
Then you should have said that instead of assuming everyone would understand your sarcasm. Emotion doesn't carry in text, and you'd go a lot further explaining yourself if you used your words from the start, like you're doing now.

OMG, i dont get mad so easy, but this guy isnt a saint, he just got mistaken and he hits even harder,
its not at my hand but i wouldnt sell any panda to this guy to keep him shut.

he claims being more smart at not helping, but waiting others to take the risk.
just waiting fo someone to risk and get wet to bake a cake and then this one just enters and chomps it all?

i really despise someone thinking like that.

anyway, a hardware upgrade would be a big kick on the people who made a preorder on the gadget.

(a moderator should come and just end all this nonsense)

to el_pocko: men/(or woman i dont know) if you expect to everyone do everything for you it just sound like youre a mommy and daddy kid who doesnt know nothing but spend family money.

the pandora idea wouldnt even go surface with all the pp who made preorders.

just stop making funny to everyone trying to work up something, youre one of a bunch that always laugh at the people trying the impossible, but the day the reach it, you'll just shut up and hide your shamefull face?
you should watch what you write and think more like society not just you you and you
maybe you should learn the frog rabbit pig trying to walk a bridge.

Look guys, a hardware upgrade will come in 2-3 years. OP still needs to make MONEY first! Think! As time goes on OMAP3530 will be cheaper to produce but they can keep the price the same.

Note that this doesn't include Revisions.

DroneB Dev said:
OMG, i dont get mad so easy, but this guy isnt a saint, he just got mistaken and he hits even harder,
Dude, relax. He makes one good point: holding up progress just because it would be bad for the early adopters would be a bad business move. Fortunately he's ignorant, and doesn't realize that that isn't the only reason (I wouldn't even list it in the top 5), but he's not going to learn if you take that kind of attitude.

iprice said:
Conker's Bad Fur Day and Banjo-Tooie which unfortunately were never released outside US, if I understand right
Wrong. I own both of those games as official PAL releases. They may not have been released in significant numbers though.

Oh, OK. They're pretty damn rare, to say the least. I may take it back and play them on an emulator some day.

jb0yx said:

According to Wiki, these were the timeline of the PSP
1000 : Mar 2005
2000 : Sep 2007
3000 : Oct 2008
Go : Oct 2009

That's more than 2yr between the 1000 series and the 2000.
If Pandora 2 comes out 2 years after we receive the 1st batch, I have no problem with it.

One year passed between 2000 and 3000. The only significant change was the screen, which some people complain that it got worst. I think they were also fixing other things to make it harder to hack. If a Pandora 1.5 came out a year later with a different screen (let's say to make it more touch sensitive), I will be OK with it. Not thrilled, but not upset.

Big changes btw 3000 and Go and we know most previous owners are up and arm about it. I would be upset too if Pandora followed this route.

As I understand it, games released today can still be played in the 1000 series (with a firmware upgrade). If all the "new" emulators as well as the old ones for the Pandora 2 can be played in Pandora 1, I can deal with the 1 year hardware upgrade.

WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:
Dude, relax. He makes one good point: holding up progress just because it would be bad for the early adopters would be a bad business move. Fortunately he's ignorant, and doesn't realize that that isn't the only reason (I wouldn't even list it in the top 5), but he's not going to learn if you take that kind of attitude.

im not mad at that, its just that since that user signed just keeps badgering at people trying to make it work

and claims he/she is more patient than those who spent the money on the 1st batch.

Considering the director of marketing at ARM, Nandan Nayampally, estimates that the Cortex-A9 will start appearing in retail products in Q4 of 2010, I really wish people would stop asking for that upgrade now. Hell, who knows the possible bugs that a new untested SoC would have if they rushed a product to market so fast.

I think all of this is coming from people that don't understand the embedded/ARM market. This isn't an Intel chip where Intel announces the product and ships it in a couple months. ARM comes up with a design and licenses it to companies (Samsung, TI, Qualcomm) which make the SoC which are then bought and brought to market in retail products. This isn't a 'pop processor out, fit new processor in' situation.

EDIT:
No SDXC products have hit the market yet, so expecting the Pandora to be the first product with it is very unrealistic as well. OP isn't an industry giant.

OpenTheBox said:
According to Wiki, these were the timeline of the PSP
1000 : Mar 2005
2000 : Sep 2007
3000 : Oct 2008
Go : Oct 2009

That's more than 2yr between the 1000 series and the 2000.
If Pandora 2 comes out 2 years after we receive the 1st batch, I have no problem with it.

One year passed between 2000 and 3000. The only significant change was the screen, which some people complain that it got worst. I think they were also fixing other things to make it harder to hack. If a Pandora 1.5 came out a year later with a different screen (let's say to make it more touch sensitive), I will be OK with it. Not thrilled, but not upset.

Big changes btw 3000 and Go and we know most previous owners are up and arm about it. I would be upset too if Pandora followed this route.

As I understand it, games released today can still be played in the 1000 series (with a firmware upgrade). If all the "new" emulators as well as the old ones for the Pandora 2 can be played in Pandora 1, I can deal with the 1 year hardware upgrade.
point taken, i agree, lots of time had passed between the first and second version. It was just a for instance for when he said 3rd 4th 5th batches, if I was a betting man, I'd bet we will see at least one revision or improvement towards the later batches. (smaller... faster... stronger!)

in regards to compatibility. This is still just a UMPC running linux. As long as they don't do anything insane in regards to upgrades and just stay ARM any upgrades shouldn't effect things much, it would probally just get snappier (if I had to take a running leaping guess) If more ram is added and someone designs a program that requires an increased amount. I'd compare that situation back to the psp with skype.... only compatible with slim and lite. (needed 64mb ram vs 32mb on phat psp) I'd yell at the programmer at that point, not OP for the upgrade.

I dont know how your financial situation is, but this is only 300 bones(american)... I mean... it's not like it's a second mortgage or something. Slap that b*tch on ebay and get the newer model if you must have the bleeding edge. I did that with my psp (50 bucks off the newer model :) )
---------------------

Patience is the state of endurance under difficult circumstances, which can mean persevering in the face of delay or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset; or exhibiting forbearance when under strain, especially when faced with longer-term difficulties.

The man with the DS "PHAT" with Rhythm Tengoku in the discontinued GBA slot, who just recently made a purchase for a "NON-wide screen" Thinkpad T60p laptop, says:

"Upgrade? What word may that be?"

Hmmmm.... Maybe revision is a better word than upgrade. Revision's would hopefully be in the interest of the pandora team and later buyers (unless functionality is removed which I would be dead against). If it means it's saving them money and tweaking any areas that need it for the consumer. Actual upgrades wouldn't be in the benefit of the team or the community. I don't think there should be a pandora 1.5, times better spent on getting 1 to be as successful as a niche product that it can be, software, tweaks in hardware, etc etc then think about pand 2 a year or so down the line. Considering a year or so development period 2 shouldn't be any closer than 3 years away I would've thought.

Back