2Nd Batch Upgrades?

CandidStan

Since the second batch won't be available until 2010 at the earliest, could we expect a hardware upgrade on the second batch? (newest Cortex, more RAM, and possible SDXC support?)

I would think a RAM upgrade at the least would be necessary to compete with the ODROID.

I doubt it - that could create compatibility problems and would more than likely severely piss off the first batchers that have waited a long time for the machine. Look at the problems caused by late revisions of the GP2X F200 screen. Shudder.

iprice said:
I doubt it - that could create compatibility problems and would more than likely severely piss off the first batchers that have waited a long time for the machine. Look at the problems caused by late revisions of the GP2X F200 screen. Shudder.

Agreed, that would piss of those who preordered the first batch and that is bad business. Also, this has been talked about before.

Last edited by a moderator:
BackAssward said:
iprice said:

Agreed, that would piss of those who preordered the first batch and that is bad business. Also, this has been talked about before.

I suppose this is why quite a few people have backed out, given that now the Pandora is being produced with an older processor. It's just a shame no one else is doing something similar with similar features.

CandidStan said:
I suppose this is why quite a few people have backed out, given that now the Pandora is being produced with an older processor. It's just a shame no one else is doing something similar with current hardware.

an older processor? show me the Cortex A9 device.... first retail Cortex A8 device starting to appear not long ago... and changing things like what you propose require heavy development, and openpandora team is still losing (not gaining money if you consider their work free...) money with only 1 batch.

plus they already told us numerous time that they won't change the hardware between revision, you have to wait for an openpandora2 in 5 years or so for something else...

Elwing said:
CandidStan said:
I suppose this is why quite a few people have backed out, given that now the Pandora is being produced with an older processor. It's just a shame no one else is doing something similar with current hardware.

an older processor? show me the Cortex A9 device.... first retail Cortex A8 device starting to appear not long ago... and changing things like what you propose require heavy development, and openpandora team is still losing (not gaining money if you consider their work free...) money with only 1 batch.

plus they already told us numerous time that they won't change the hardware between revision, you have to wait for an openpandora2 in 5 years or so for something else...

Well as you can see I edited my post at the exact same time you posted...I meant the processor and such to put my post in a hardware upgrade perspective but I guess it wasn't interpreted correctly, I wasn't speaking specifically.

CandidStan said:
Elwing said:
CandidStan said:

Well as you can see I edited my post at the exact same time you posted...I meant the processor and such to put my post in a hardware upgrade perspective but I guess it wasn't interpreted correctly, I wasn't speaking specifically.

hum, that's more right that way, but i doubt we'll get some retail Cortex A9 by the time the second batch will be out (if it still goes as planned...)

Remember consoles stayed with the same architecture for many years, regardless is new stuff came out. They didn't make new systems until far in the future. They all know not to cut their own feet off for a new chip.

BackAssward said:
Remember consoles stayed with the same architecture for many years, regardless is new stuff came out. They didn't make new systems until far in the future. They all know not to cut their own feet off for a new chip.
If they are software compatible i do not really see a big problem in getting a hardware upgrade, but i agree that it will probably take at least 2 years of development after the second batch gets produced before they can get those out.
It is better to wait a little longer and have a well developped product (like we did with pandora 1), otherwise they could start doing a revision every few months, and certain revisions would contain certain errors/problems or even incompatibilities and nobody really wants that.

CandidStan said:
and possible SDXC support?
the pandora will already be SDXC compatible with a firmware upgrade, but may not have SDXC speeds.

roelandb said:
If they are software compatible i do not really see a big problem in getting a hardware upgrade, but i agree that it will probably take at least 2 years of development after the second batch gets produced before they can get those out.

The new pandora would be backward compatible with the older revision, but people with an older revision wouldn't be able to play the games that make use of the increased specs of a new revision.

Consider that lots of 1st batchers paid their pandora 1 year in advance and are supposed to be the ones that start the word of mouth marketing: giving them a crippled device isn't exactly a nice reward for their patience.

Come on guys calling the cortex-A8 a old processor, you can't be serious. What is the lifetime of a gadget in your hands 1/2 year? There always will be faster processors around.

They can't just update the parts like that, they'd have to redo most of the work they did to create the original boards and for that effort they may as well just make the Pandora 2. So just stick to getting the first and second batches for now.

valhalla said:
a crippled device
That's a funny definition of progress.

isn't exactly a nice reward for their patience.
Actually I have more patience because I'm waiting much longer for the second batch. Do I deserve a reward as well?

But hey, f*ck progress - there are principles to adhere to! If you got a slow CPU, no one else is entitled to a faster one!

el_pocko said:
valhalla said:
a crippled device

Actually I have more patience because I'm waiting much longer for the second batch. Do I deserve a reward as well?

But hey, f*ck progress - there are principles to adhere to! If you got a slow CPU, no one else is entitled to a faster one!

I guess the pandora team will try to gain some money before creating a new hardware... they gain nothing on the first batch... they have to sell more batch of the same hardware to gain money

el_pocko said:
valhalla said:
a crippled device

Nobody's entitled to anything here. OP is the only group making Pandoras at the moment, so we're at their mercy for pricing, performance, and timing. And they aren't about to make any sort of change that would require extra effort, when they've only made 4000 of the current hardware revision. It would be a waste to change anything this early.

el_pocko said:
valhalla said:
a crippled device

are you really waiting with your money on the proyect? i didnt know they were already taking preorders for the next batch.

anyway doing that would be bad for everyone, the price would rise again, they would have less (or none) spares. and they would jump/leap onto a
completelly new product not knowing where they would fall.

it would be wise to see if the panda is really going anywhere first.

the DS is pretty behind talking of clock speed and even graphics, but its playability is still on the go. so better work up on the software first because
no one is going to buy pandas anymore, if the software base gets stuck.

I'm a 1st batcher and I wouldn't care if they updated the hardware afterwards (2nd batch) as long as it doesn't break compatibility.
But from a business point of view, I can't see any point in them doing so. Was hard enough to get to this point much less trying to do simple updates. If it's something like they can get the A8 for cheaper and it's a faster (but defaulted to 600) pin compatible one fair enough. Otherwise concentrate on streamlining manufacture of Pandora and it's software infrastructure etc, then start the design in a year or so's time after a nice rest, for the Pandora 2 for delivery in 4 or so years time from now :)

Back