2Nd Batch Upgrades?

DroneB Dev said:
im not mad at that, its just that since that user signed just keeps badgering at people trying to make it work
You don't make anything work. You just sit on your ass and wait, just as I do. I'm getting sick of special princesses who thought they bought an opinion monopoly or any decision rights for their lousy 250 bucks.

and claims he/she is more patient than those who spent the money on the 1st batch.
Well, you could go ahead and explain where I am wrong, instead of just crying like an angry little kid.

You are not more patient, because you paid money to get your device early. In fact you are so impatient about it, you gambled your money on the chance to get a device of undeterminate quality, build by a bunch of more or less unexperienced amateurs who are over a year late to deliver said device, despite all time estimates. That's neither patient nor a smart move to do.
In the end, you just want your goddamn Pandora - the earlier, the better.

Now that was enough time wasted for this year, see you next year when I'll be back to post in a thread where someone complains about the poor quality of the device and how he expected soooo much more, because he paid early and it took so long and blah blah.

Last edited by a moderator:
el_pocko said:
Buddy, you paid money for a pig in a poke and got nothing in return for a whole year, and more months to come. I did not pay anything upfront and will get a mature device that you have beta tested for me - if it's ever completed, that is. Still, you call me stupid. Sweet irony :)

I think you got me there :)

IFF I get my pandora, I will write you PMs daily about how AWESOME! it is, even it isn't :)

Creature XL said:
el_pocko said:
Buddy, you paid money for a pig in a poke and got nothing in return for a whole year, and more months to come. I did not pay anything upfront and will get a mature device that you have beta tested for me - if it's ever completed, that is. Still, you call me stupid. Sweet irony :)

I think you got me there :)

IFF I get my pandora, I will write you PMs daily about how AWESOME! it is, even it isn't :)
Haha, that made me laugh maybe we all should do that, up until his/hers last posts I thought they had some valid points may not agree but valid none the less, now I think their just trolling.

Wasnt the Pandora thought as homebrew-community project that tourned out to be a crossing between handheld&umpc?
I didnt buy the pandora for its raw power but because i knew theres a community behind this of enthusiastic coders and artists so i wouldnt really care if it had 100mhz more or less.
But i would be really pissed if the second batch would get more of something.
Why? Because it splits the community and the more units of the improved second batch would be sold the smaller the motivation to optimize theyr games/emulators/whatever for the units of the first batch.
So every ugrade to the second batch would be a downgrade for the first batch.
A smaller size, longer battery life, a better screen, sdxc support or things like this wouldnt affect the first batchers and I'm cool with that but i don't see that comming.

I wish people who decide to cancel their pre-order, not pre-order, or basically anyone that doesn't really have anything constructive to say(ie... suggestions, improvements, ideas) would kindy keep it to themselves. EXPECIALLY if you have no intention to support the community in one way or another. Not that voiceing your opposite viewpoint isn't constructive, but at least do it in a constructive manner. kthxbai

don't feed the trolls

jb0yx said:

don't feed the trolls

they should put, "beware of the trolls" and in small print "moderators too busy".

really we need some moderators in here, he/she/it (who knows if it is just a bot these days?) keep badgering in 10 out of 10 of the posts.

just recall this.

el_pocko said:
You are not more patient, because you paid money to get your device early. In fact you are so impatient about it, you gambled your money on the chance to get a device of undeterminate quality, build by a bunch of more or less unexperienced amateurs who are over a year late to deliver said device, despite all time estimates. That's neither patient nor a smart move to do.
In the end, you just want your goddamn Pandora - the earlier, the better.

Now that was enough time wasted for this year, see you next year when I'll be back to post in a thread where someone complains about the poor quality of the device and how he expected soooo much more, because he paid early and it took so long and blah blah.

DroneB Dev said:
jb0yx said:

don't feed the trolls

they should put, "beware of the trolls" and in small print "moderators too busy".

really we need some moderators in here, he/she/it (who knows if it is just a bot these days?) keep badgering in 10 out of 10 of the posts.

just recall this.

el_pocko said:

If you don't read too much into that (the highlighted part) it's not a derogatory statement, just a fact.

Strikes me more as cynicism than patience.

Edit: Stupid typo grumble grumble.

@el_pocko:

OK, I'll take the bait. First you welcome someone to further explain why you're wrong, and then later (in the same post) you say "see you next year"? Cute. Well, let me try to (re-)explain it to you, nevertheless (this is how I see it, and how I think other people see it too):

When the stakes are higher, it also requires higher patience. Pre-orderers have put money into this thing. If this fails, they will lose that money. You won't. All you're doing is waiting. For someone who was 100% sure OP team would deliver, then yes, they are more impatient than those people who wait for the second batch. But that 100% certainty is quite rare, and it's that little doubt deep inside that makes the waiting so much more harder and intense. And THAT takes patience. And THAT'S what makes pre-orderers more patient than you. You're taking the easy road. If OP doesn't deliver, you'll be "...meh" or "... well whatever!" or something similar. That's not patience, that's being indifferent. Pre-orderers don't have that luxury (unless 330 bucks is equal to toilet paper for them...)

Regarding making something work: pre-orderers already helped make it "work". The team had to get the money somehow. It REALLY WAS the pre-orderers' money that made the developing and producing possible to maintain. You on the other hand .... no.

And regarding princesses, I'll give you a story as an example:
3800+ people are giving money to a risky project to design and produce a handheld machine. There's also the team that took the risk of putting their own money, time and effort to make this happen. After some major hurdles and setbacks they're finally nearing the finish line. They're already taking the hit with the first batch and now hope that future batches will make profit to make up the losses and maybe even have little to themselves, so they can keep the business going.
But then comes someone, before the first batch is even out and even though it would still be possible to get aboard the first batch, asking to get an upgraded version with only few months after the first batch, resulting in more expenses to the team. Okay, no problem, this can be seen as not thinking it through. But then something hits the fan; along comes an arrogant dimwit, who wants all this regardless the fact (which he even seems to aknowledge) that it would also effectively backstab the pre-orderers and result in compatibility issues.
Now, who's the princess in this story?

Like said before, incremental changes are OK, if they're necessary or more profitable/convenient for the team. But anything that has a possibility of people developing apps/games which only work with the later revisions would be plain stupid, and really should be used only as a last resort. This includes better cpu, bigger ram, better graphics.

Yes, I see you're quite amused by the fact that people are so vain about the possibility of getting inferior hardware than the later batches, but that's just reality and human nature. Especially with a timeframe as short as this. It's pure backstabbing and a sure way to lose future customers.

While I agree that large upgrades (More RAM, or an enhanced processor) would be shafting the customers of the first batch, what about minor fixes for issues regarding the system? (I'm not saying there will be, but bugs have tendency to slip through every once in a while.) I'd think it would be pretty bad if there was a faulty hinge (Like the DS Lite) or something like that and the Open Pandora team chose to ignore it for the second batch.

the post that el pocko made was a bit too close to home for some people i think :p
im a 1st hour pre-orderer - but i am fully prepared for a device which perhaps doesnt fulfil its requirements. luckily, it'll be an easy £300 sell on ebay if thats the case.

Goldsun1715 said:
While I agree that large upgrades (More RAM, or an enhanced processor) would be shafting the customers of the first batch, what about minor fixes for issues regarding the system? (I'm not saying there will be, but bugs have tendency to slip through every once in a while.) I'd think it would be pretty bad if there was a faulty hinge (Like the DS Lite) or something like that and the Open Pandora team chose to ignore it for the second batch.

Everyone's said that already. If there's a bug that causes the hinge to break or the screen cable to become loose or something, they'll fix it. But they won't upgrade any parts unnecessarily.

Bug fixes should not change the platform drastically. By drastic changes I mean things like more ram, different processor, and some of the other things mentioned like a smaller form factor and better battery life (which doesnt seem possible without making the unit even bigger :p ).

Some people seem to throw these suggestions or potential "hardware revisions" around like you can make such changes easily, just because companies like Sony or Nintendo have done it in the past in some way, without realising that it takes lots of time, money and R&D.

@ el_pocko, maybe I read your posts wrong, and if so I'm don't take offense, but you kinda strike me as a smug git.

gibberish said:
the post that el pocko made was a bit too close to home for some people i think :p
im a 1st hour pre-orderer - but i am fully prepared for a device which perhaps doesnt fulfil its requirements. luckily, it'll be an easy £300 sell on ebay if thats the case.

No no no no no!

I would have been prepared for a device which perhaps doesnt fulfil its requirement 6-8 months ago. In fact I could have probably lived with the issues Craig listed in his 'If you had had it in July...' post. But the team have been banging on for ages about how they want to make the 'perfect' device and having delayed it by 6 months, I expect it to be so. They dug their own grave on this point.

gibberish said:

Have you ever seen this?

duty_calls.png

With all respect to xkcd.com

It wasn't A post, it was THE postS.

Back