2 Sd Card Readers.

appdirect

Still Fresh
One of the features of the pandora is the 2 sd card readers, I know it's cool to have more memory but i think is a little bit excesive I think just one sd card reader is enough and it will make the console cheaper.

The cost of removing one of the card slots is nominal. Besides, as you yourself stated, more storage is nice. On my 16 gig iPod Touch, I've got it filled to the brim with movies, music, and podcasts alone. I definitely need two slots.

Besides, the design phase is more than over, so your input is pretty much null and void.

no way! the dual SD is one of the reasons I love the pandora so much! In fact, I would dig 3 SD slots. It's just cheaper to buy 2 16GB cards than one 32 (last time I checked, anyway)
Not to mention that you can also use one for SDIO

The second SD card slot was added because people asked for it and it cost less than $5 to implement.

If however you still think two is excessive, you could always cover the second up with some tape :)

Squidge said:
The second SD card slot was added because people asked for it and it cost less than $5 to implement.

If however you still think two is excessive, you could always cover the second up with some tape :)
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The second slot is useful since there really is no on-board storage. The 256MB of flash memory inside Pandora would be well left for applications and configurations close to the kernel. It also allows for some huge library space for whatever gets thought up in the future. Basically, I think it is best reserved for code that rarely changes and that everyone NEEDS on their system.

Also, most people, myself included, already have an SD card from other devices, but we like to buy new stuff from time to time. This way, you don't have to junk or sell your other card, just add the new one to the other slot. Some developers might like to try experimental file systems on an SD card and so you can write it over and over until it stops working and still have your Pandora system in new, fully functional condition.

The cost to add the second slot is pretty minimal. Removing it today would not change the price.

One slot can hold software, while the other uses an SDIO card of some kind. Can't be done with only one SD slot.

I think two SDHC slots is a huge plus over something fixed like the ipod touch, or even something with a harddrive. I seem to recall that the SDHC spec maxes out at 64GB, so the Pandora could theoretically have 128GB of flash storage (as opposed to 64GB with one slot). I think that's a lot better than a fixed storage device, and it's one of the reasons why my n800 has lasted a whole year with me, well almost a year. =)

Music, movies and games can take up a fair amount of disk space if you let them.

yeah i'll definitely be using my old card from my gp2x, but 2 gigs seems awfully small with some of the apps this thing will run

Are you kidding me? 2 SD slots is good - but I'm glad there's also a USB port. 2 x 16 GB SD cards is a great start - but then you've got to have the 320 USB hard drive taped to the bottom of the Pandora as well.

Question - who's going to be the billionaire who invents BlueTooth storage? Because I'd love to have 1 TB in my pocket or backpack and still have access to it on my Pandora (without a wire).

chad78 said:
Are you kidding me? 2 SD slots is good - but I'm glad there's also a USB port. 2 x 16 GB SD cards is a great start - but then you've got to have the 320 USB hard drive taped to the bottom of the Pandora as well.

Question - who's going to be the billionaire who invents BlueTooth storage? Because I'd love to have 1 TB in my pocket or backpack and still have access to it on my Pandora (without a wire).
I don't think it's technically difficult, but they're working on things like wireless USB instead for a reason - bluetooth is very slow for data transfer. Like, under 5 Mbit/s. Although it seems there is at least one proposed high-speed standard, to compete with wireless USB and others...

What I hope the 2x SD slots are used for is if any developers make commercial games that are encrypted to the SD card, you can have 1 in slot 0, and the other in slot 1.

emil10001 said:
I seem to recall that the SDHC spec maxes out at 64GB
not even close, according to wikipedia, 'theoretical max for SDHC is 2 TB'.
tho currently, only 32gb models are out, and who knows if they can actually make a 2tb sd card...

2 slots is a good thing I believe. I'll likely do one card with my 'must-have at all times' apps and games, and then use the second slot for my "Media" card, videos, music, etc.

"2 Sd Card Readers., Is that really necesary?"

Yes.

If only for the simple fact that you will be able to transfer files between two cards without a PC.

"2 Sd Card Readers., Is that really necesary?"

Yes.

Scenario: Your main SD card is full. It has all your programs, libraries, emulators whatever on.
You want to put some new media, new games whatever on before your go on that long journey.

You could keep deleting files (if there are any you don't need / want) and overwriting them on your one and only card, with extra usage leading to slightly shortened life and potential for accidents, or you could pop a card in that second slot. Or swap the card in the second slot without losing access to your apps which are safely on your main card.

chad78 said:

Seagate is already working on a Bluetooth storage device, called D.A.V.E., which is supposed to hold up to 60 GB of data and connect to cellphones via a microprocessor in the drive itself, which means it would probably easily be able to connect to the Pandora...however...
I haven't heard anything about this project since they announced it in January of 2007. Either development is slow or they've given up altogether :(

Back