Sd Card Spring Clickety

WhiteBat said:
Tokiopop said:
I do hope the SD card will stick on of the console only a tiny bit. It looks like it sticks outa litte from photos/videos, but it might have been the angle or whatever...
they are flush, however, there is an indent for your finger.

(pic)

Absolute total nit-picking and this is not a genuine criticism of the design (though I'm still off to purchase some flame-retardant clothing after making this post), but would it not have made more sense for the indent to be at the top of the SD slot rather than the bottom?

Last edited by a moderator:
no!

you release the card with the tip of your fingernail, the indent is to accommodate the fleshy part of your finger, if you wanted to use the fleshy part of your finger to depress the card you would need an indent top and bottom to allow your fingertip to get in far enough, lots of SD card slots don't have ANY indent, if your nails are kept trimmed really short (like mine) then pressing the card in far enough to release it can be difficult ie some cameras, Sony Ebook, most micro sd cards, all make it hard to extract the card with really short nails

Thanks everyone! :p

Good to know they're flush. I'd hate to be getting them caught in my pocket.

Karel Jansens said:
On a related note, will the SD cards be set up to automount/umount? It would be nice to have at least one slot behaving as a removable media slot, without having to remember to (u)mount manually everytime.
I don't think you've had to manually unmount for a while in linux, it doesn't even complain about any more.
If you've just done a lot of writes, it's generally a good idea though, just to make sure, I do it in Windows as well.

That said I believe you can set it to stay synced, and I'd imagine they've thought of that.

Either way if all you've done is play a game and save it, you should be able to just pull it straight out.

Pleng said:
Absolute total nit-picking and this is not a genuine criticism of the design (though I'm still off to purchase some flame-retardant clothing after making this post), but would it not have made more sense for the indent to be at the top of the SD slot rather than the bottom?
I suppose that depends on what digit you'd be using to pop the cards in and out. The indent being where it is looks ideal for reaching down with the thumbs, to me. :)

Prometheus said:
Pleng said:
I suppose that depends on what digit you'd be using to pop the cards in and out. The indent being where it is looks ideal for reaching down with the thumbs, to me. :)
Pleng is talking about the groove along the top of an SD card so that you can pull it out with a fingernail if it gets stuck. In this instance, the the groove is useless, however since it's a lock and spring slot, I don't see why you would ever want to do that. If anything is going to break, it'll be the lock, meaning you have a hard time keeping it in, not pulling it out.

I thought he was talking about the indent on the case. :blink:

I totally forgot that SD Cards even have those grooves - I've always found them useless. :lol:

Prometheus said:
I thought he was talking about the indent on the case. :blink:

I totally forgot that SD Cards even have those grooves - I've always found them useless. :lol:
He was talking about the indent on the case. If the indent were above the SD card you could use a fingernail to pull them out. Since the card sits flush to the case, there's no way to get to that groove with the indent below the SD card.

Back