2 Player Option?

project86

I'm wondering if there is, or ever maybe will be, any chance of being able to connect a seperate controller (Sega Nomad style) to allow for 2 player gaming with the TV out. that would be really nice.

You might be able to interface a serial games controller (possibly modded SNES) to the EXT port with a breakout box.

A straight SNES-serial hack wouldn't work, since the SNES has 8 buttons + 4 directions & the GND line. Only thing I can think of that'll work is a Genesis controller, since it has 4 + 4 & GND. You may have better luck with a USB Gravis pad transplant in an SNES control.

Edit: Also, that toyz4boyz site sells the EXT port connectors, so you may be able to bypass a breakout board.

I made a SNES controller -> USB (standard keyboard) converter using a TUSB3210 in the last few weeks for a school project. I think I will make a project page about that this week (most SNES controller schematics in the internet contain errors). You can find almost all info you will need on the SNES controller here. Just note that the trigger and clock line are already have pull-ups.
Anyway: I think the easiest thing to do would be to use the RS232 connection on the GP2X and then use some micro to do a RS232 <-> controller conversion. It's not too hard to make something like that but I doubt if may people would use it as it requires a bit of soldering and a micro. Of course you could always use something like this AT to Serial converter.

Back