1GHz ARM board: BeagleBone Black.

I Love the Ethernet and the HDMI. This is like a OUYA version of the Open Pandora    :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good deal.  Maybe they're trying to "compete" with the Raspberry Pi, but one wonders if Craig & Co could slap a few of these things into a deeper iCP2 unit?...hhhmmmm....

^ Not sure, but the odroidX2 is is essentially three times the price of the Beagle Bone Black.  Not a tough choice for early adopters and tinkerers.

I've just ordered one... I'm hoping to use it as the brains in a webcam based security system.

^ Not sure, but the odroidX2 is is essentially three times the price of the Beagle Bone Black.  Not a tough choice for early adopters and tinkerers.
But is the performance of the odroid more than three times ;)

The more dev boards the better.. I just want something that could be considered performance driven.

But is the performance of the odroid more than three times ;)

The more dev boards the better.. I just want something that could be considered performance driven.
I think its safe to say the OdroidX2 would be quicker, more expensive, heavier and bigger especailly given the heat sink.  All things to consider in regards to what you do with it.

The odroid and Beaglebone have different uses.. Beaglebone is more supportive of Hardware tinkerers as it has easy access to a ton of IOs which makes it a good candidate for things like high end robotics projects and such and the odroid seems just to be geared for general computer use, software development platform, media player platform and such.

Odroid X2 seems like a good contender to make a powerful "pandora entertainment system" home console.
It's not that pricey when you think about the power it packs. (isn't it a bit better than a tegra3 cpu?)

The BeagleBone Black looks great for hardware hacking with its connectors ready to receive shields.

What processing chips does this have on it? The beagleboard site states it has a Cortex-M3 and two PRU ARM processors - I suspect one of the two is that M3 - and a 3D GPU. The Engadget page states it has an A8 *and* two more ARM processors, as well as the GPU, which seems a little unlikely. I can't get the video to work, the way Endadget have embedded it, but by the sounds of the video soundtrack, the information may be there.

What the page is claiming: http://www.ti.com/product/am3359

It also states it has an arm cortex m3 is for power management.

EDIT: odd that the official user manual makes no mention of the Cortex-M3

The U2 is substantially cheaper though, so only two times for it: http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451

A big difference between the two is BeagleBone Black brings out a bunch of I/Os to headers. So if you want something for a hobbyist project it'll be a better fit. But if you want a little standalone computer ODROID-U2 will be much more powerful.

Wowie.  That thing is tiny!  48 x 52 mm???   :blink:

Makes my Raspberry Pi look like Godzilla....and with such limited board space I can see why they had to stack the ethernet and usb ports like that.

^ Not exactly sure where you read that but according to Wikipedia a "PRU" might stand for "Programmable Real-Time Unit, a subsystem of certain ARM microprocessors."?  Maybe...

Edit1:  ...and if we're talking about WHY you might want two of them, well...isn't two always better than one?   :D

Scratch that last thought - I just remembered "multiple personality disorders".

Yes, it is. The AM335x series has "2x PRU 32-bit RISC CPUs". According to documentation, the PRU is "optimized for performing embedded tasks that require manipulation of packed memory mapped data structures" and good at "handling of system events that have tight realtime constraints". That doesn't really mean much. May as well just say "red makes it go faster".

Back